Plans for a new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Moving in January, and planning on building Ernie a nice, big, new home. Treated wood is a bit pricey for us, and I know some other options are use clear-coat spray paint [and letting it dry out good for a couple days], or staple-gunning linoleum squares to the bottom/sides, or using a shower curtain along the bottom as well. What has worked for you guys? Whats the best/most economical/logical stuff to use to help waterproof?

andred82vert

5 Year Member
I would buy a few feet (depending on the size of your enclosure) of pond liner at a hardware/garden store. Its very durable and will last you up to 10 years maybe more.

DO NOT use treated wood! Its not safe for you or your torts. The preservative that they use is laced with arsenic. (poison)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
go cheap.. plywood and 2X4's is really all you need if your building a tortoise table. i just used old scraps to build my tortoise tables. defently go with a pond liner as said before, there great for the wood not to rot out or use a shower liner. they work great too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I recently completed a tort table for my young Yellowfoot tortoises. I used scrap 3/4" plywood for the floor and walls. Because the plywood is so thick, I didn't need any 2x4's at the corners. I just screwed the walls to each other. Then I lined it with a shower curtain liner. But a pond liner would have been easier to work with. I lined it, using the neat hospital-corners that you do when making your bed. I didn't staple anywhere where the dirt was going to touch because of the tiny holes the staples make. I only stapled up at the edges. The substrate holds the liner to the walls just fine. In a few places where the tortoises used plants to climb a bit higher, I had to come along afterwards with duct tape to hold the edges to the wall.

Yvonne

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Sounds good. I'll take a look at pond liners. Its not expensive is it?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you have a constrction site in the area.. they usually have a trash pile. Depending on what you need.. you might be able to find it there. just be sure to ASK first or looks for a sign that says Free Scraps or somethign..

andred82vert

5 Year Member
sammi said:
Sounds good. I'll take a look at pond liners. Its not expensive is it?

Not sure about other places, but they sell it by the foot at home depot. 12'x1' goes for around $6.00

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not knowing what you mean when you say BIG.

A "put-together" bookcase [ from Walmart ] lined as shown here is probably as economical as anything.. the principle is the same whether built from scratch or pre-fab.. http://www.redfoots.com/yenclose.htm

Terry K

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my indoor enclosures are simple 3/4" CDX grade plywood glued and screwed at the corners. No need for a frame, the combination of screws and wood glue make the seams rugged enough to be moved around often if necessary. Mine are set up in three tier racks but if you're building just one a simple 1" x 4" frame at whatever height you want is simple and strong enough to support it. Mine are painted inside and out with a decent quality white semi gloss latex enamel paint. This finish is strong, holds up well, is easy to wipe clean and the light color provided plenty of light reflection inside the enclosure. I have found that I usually have to repaint the interiors about every 4-5 years. I've never had to repaint the exteriors because they get no wear. I've been using many of the enclosures for over 20 years so they absolutely hold up well. I can post some photos and more details if interested.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
GBtortoises said:
I can post some photos and more details if interested.

Well, you must know that, of course! We're very interested in seeing photos and details of your tort tables!! Make a new thread and post away!!!

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ditto on the plastic sheeting liner. I used a heavy blue tarp for my indoor pen, hospital corners, etc.

I like the idea of sheet linoleum, plastic-faced and caulked hardboard, and other options, but for me it was a matter of scale- working with the tarp was easier in the about 4'x10' habitat I made up than working with a more rigid material would have been.

Painted on materials, whether paint or sealant, also have their place, but in the high humidity habitat I was making, the tarp was a more secure option.

HayeCious

5 Year Member
Who is Ditto Madkins ? Is that a pokemon .,?:lol .,just asking.,by the way I am thanking you for this guys I got some information that I really need.,

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I used shower pan liner (gray, sold at home improvement stores by the foot). It is expensive, but pond liner was not available in my area in winter, and it is very thick, more more so than shower curtains. It is very difficult to even fold or cut. Works great.

I went expensive and used pine. It is a centerpiece in our home so this was important.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Sounds awesome everyone =] Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the hardware store..

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
andred82vert said:
I would buy a few feet (depending on the size of your enclosure) of pond liner at a hardware/garden store. Its very durable and will last you up to 10 years maybe more.

DO NOT use treated wood! Its not safe for you or your torts. The preservative that they use is laced with arsenic. (poison)

The arsenic impregnated wood has been illegal to sell in the USA for several years now. Arsenic poisoning is no longer a concern with recently purchased pressure treated lumber!

andred82vert

5 Year Member
bettinge said:
andred82vert said:

The arsenic impregnated wood has been illegal to sell in the USA for several years now. Arsenic poisoning is no longer a concern with recently purchased pressure treated lumber!

Oh right, that's true! The chemicals they use now (ACQ and CA) are not as toxic. I still wouldn't use them around animals though. Just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.