Plant Confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I collected some Elephant ears months ago and planed on using them in my red foot's enclosure around the pond, but I read that they are toxic so I abandoned them. Now I am reading that some people use them. Can someone clear up this confusion? After weeding through the older threads, via the search function, I have read that the crystals formed by certain plants can hurt the inside of the animals.

Are elephant ears and caladiums safe to use in a redfooted tortoise enclosure? Just getting a 2nd, or 3rd opinion. I prefer talking directly with other keepers, rather than reading an article that leaves you clueless.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Elephant ear is native to Indonesia, so Indonesian tortoises eat them on a regular basis. My Manouria tortoises eat it all the time. However, tortoises where this plant is NOT native probably should not be allowed to eat it. Having said that...I have quite a few Alocasia (elephant ear) coming up in my Yellowfoot pen. The tortoises don't eat the leaves or stems, however, they LOVE to munch on the tubers. I believe elephant ear tuber is also called poi, and is eaten in Hawaii by the people there.

I think caladium comes from Brazil, so it is probably ok for your RF to eat it.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I currently have about half a dozen in a bucket, and they would create awesome shade and hiding places.

On the other hand, caladiums are from South America like you said so perhaps they are a safer alternative. It may be a little to late this season to plant the tubers, but not potted plants? I just want to hear from others before I go ahead with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.