Plant ID

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Not familar to me but hopefully to someone else.

Any chance you could get a photo of it where it grows? A picture of the entire plant. That might help.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I did run across the LA Times article. Really had to dig for it:

Toxic Plant Profile: Indigo
November 04, 1988|Clipboard researched by Henry Rivero and Rick VanderKnyff / Los Angeles Times. Graphics by Doris Shields / Los Angeles Times

INDIGO (Indigofera): The genus Indigofera includes about 300 species of shrub or perennial herb, with several species native to the southern United States and others grown as ornamentals. Indigo dye, a rich blue known to the Egyptians and Romans, was derived from several species of the plant. In experiments with livestock, several species of Indigofera have proven toxic, and have caused various symptoms including muscular spasms, paralysis, general weakness and even death.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Texas has plenty of indigo so I’d say the above identification is a good one. One never quite knows what to do with the research, since tortoises work so differently than mammals. But I’d avoid it, especially for a young tortoise.

Sorry!

El tortuga

ARLINGTON TX
Texas has plenty of indigo so I’d say the above identification is a good one. One never quite knows what to do with the research, since tortoises work so differently than mammals. But I’d avoid it, especially for a young tortoise.

Sorry!
I really appreciate the info!!