Plants for indoor enclosure

peanut20

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Our baby hermann (28grams) keeps trying to climb the corners of his enclosure. We have hide in the cooler corner and a humid hide as well.

I read in one of the posts that having more plants would give me more secure spots to roam, and prevent the wall climbing.

I am considering some plants to place in the enclosure. These are a few I'm hoping to get bareroot so I can plant in safe organic soil. Could you let me know if these plats are okay for a baby hermann? I'm also open to any other suggestions! Thanks!

1. Various hosta plants 1584475027872.png
2. Green shamrock 1584475104461.png
3. Chinese money plant 1584475194722.png

Attachments

• 1584475714549.png
    1584475714549.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

Jmoranb26

Houston, TX
I have some Aloe and Dandelion on my enclosure with a little fance arouns so they only reach them when grown they love it, as decoration I have a 2 plastic one from the store, yet they like them, they sleep next to them, one give shades so they like that. Hope that helps you!

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
The hosta is fine

The other two are easily confused with other plants.

Many people call a form of jade plant a "money tree", and this is considered safe and edible, though a Chinese Money Plant is a different species. And I cant speak to whether or not it would be safe ingest.

The Shamrock is often confused with clover, bitis actually an Oxalis by the name of Wood Sorrel and I personally wouldnt use it.

From the tortoise table plant database:
"All of the sorrels from the Oxalidaceae family contain high amounts of oxalic acid, and although a small nibble will do no harm it is best avoided as it could bind with calcium and cause kidney stones or gout"

If your tort doesn't eat it, it might be ok, but again personal choice for me, I wouldnt. Why take the chance when there are many other safe options. The double danger to stones and gout is that the bonded calcium will also be lost to shell and bone development.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The Shamrock is often confused with clover, bitis actually an Oxalis by the name of Wood Sorrel and I personally wouldnt use it.
Wood sorrel contains oxalic acid, which can be toxic to your tortoise: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=362#.XnGb8qhKiUl I always remove it when the seeds land in my tortoise garden.

3. Chinese money plant
The other Pilea species listed on Tortoise Table look edible for torts: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk...archchoice=anywords&searchtxt=pilea&x=12&y=13 I can only assume yours is fine too, but you can also ask The Tortoise Table peeps on their forum: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk...php?f=24&sid=d3378f286fca679804bfd48640918309

As an alternative, Tortoise Supply has some seed mixes: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes The one I tried for my Russian grew like crazy and were very easy to grow. I assume the Broadleaf Testudo Mix would be fine for a Hermann's.

Last edited:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
As for the Chinese money plant aka Pilea Peperomiodes first off you’ll likely pay a lot for your tortoise to bulldoze it, because its one of the popular “trending” interior plants, also pileas are total jerks as a plant to keep.

I would plant cups with dandelion seeds (once the flowers come out and you’re able to collect seeds) then plant the cup it’s growing in inside of your enclosed when it has nice leaves. Dandelions are always enjoyed, and bonus of them being free.

hostas are nice and durable plants, especially when they’re bigger (then again this year my mums stood no chance against the deer in their yard so I couldn’t even steal some leaves to sneak into my Russian torts diet likeI usually would.

peanut20

Pennsylvania
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it!!

Thank you for clarifying the jade plant vs chinese money plant, and clovers vs shamrocks. I had know idea.

I think I will try and get the hostas plant and replant it into the enclosure once it reaches a good size. I also just ordered the broadleaf testudo mix again. My first try of planting them wasn't too successful but give it another go. I really like the suggestion of using plant cups. That will definitely help! I'll try to upload some pictures later today.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it!!

Thank you for clarifying the jade plant vs chinese money plant, and clovers vs shamrocks. I had know idea.

I think I will try and get the hostas plant and replant it into the enclosure once it reaches a good size. I also just ordered the broadleaf testudo mix again. My first try of planting them wasn't too successful but give it another go. I really like the suggestion of using plant cups. That will definitely help! I'll try to upload some pictures later today.
Good luck with the hosta! My tortoise took one bite and never looked back. But he's also a dandelion addict. :D I'm going to try to plant more Broadleaf Testudo Mix seeds today as well.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm going to try to plant more Broadleaf Testudo Mix seeds today as well.
The Broadleaf Testudo seeds from Tortoise Supply have sprouted! Here they are yesterday:

P_20200327_162849.jpg

P_20200327_162856.jpg

And here they are today. They grow fast!

P_20200328_155256.jpg