Plants sprayed with soapy water- can tort still eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
It's been a practice of my mom to use soapy water as pest control because we don't like using bug spray, or pesticides. I was just wondering if it's ok to feed those plants that has been previously sprayed with soapy water? Of course it would be washed first.

Organic pest control and bug sprays are not really available here and if it is it's too expensive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as you rinse off the soap, I think it would be ok to feed to the tortoise. Tortoises eat bugs along with their plant intake all the time. I doubt a few bugs would hurt the tortoise. I think you're talking about mealy bugs, huh? Another way to get them off the plant is to spray with alcohol, or dab the bug with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. But be sure to rinse off before feeding.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You may be able to order natural bug sprays like orange stuff or whatever online as well. Not much more expensive than conventional bug sprays. I personally wouldn't want to feed my tort anything that had been sprayed with soap, despite any amount of rinsing, but I know others do that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
As long as you rinse off the soap, I think it would be ok to feed to the tortoise. Tortoises eat bugs along with their plant intake all the time. I doubt a few bugs would hurt the tortoise. I think you're talking about mealy bugs, huh? Another way to get them off the plant is to spray with alcohol, or dab the bug with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. But be sure to rinse off before feeding.

Alcohol? that is great now we will have drunk bugs and torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.