plastic bins

babytortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I know clear plastic bins are not ideal for torts due to the stress of them seeing thru the plastic, but, if I was to cover the outside with paper or fabric or even spray paint, I assume this is ok as long as it isn't see-thru anymore, right? Also, if I'm using coco coir and orchid bark as my substrate, do I need to worry about mold growth at all if my humidity and temp levels remain consistent (80% humidity & at least 80 degrees)? When it comes time to clean the enclosure, how often does the substrate have to be replaced?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, if you cover the sides that would be fine. Though you can buy the big 55 gallon Rubbermaid and it is not see through so it wouldn't be a problem. I have never had a problem with mold so I'm sure you'll be fine. As for how often to replace substrate, not very often. As long as you pick up poop when you see it and turn the substrate once a week it will last for a long time. My current substrate has been in the enclosures since January.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have used clear bins and glass tanks with no problems. Not all torts are stressed from seeing out.

I've never had mold growth in coco coir. Just clean up extra food (that might mold) and maybe add some rolly pollie bugs to help clean up leftovers.

I spot clean. Soaking the tort first thing in the morning helps keep it clean, too. They usually "go" in the soak.
I might do a full substrate change annually. Or I might replace small amounts occasionally. Or I might wash and reuse some every now and then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Plastic bins are usually opaque, and even though they are semi see through, don't cause the problem that sometimes occurs with glass walls.

747117wei24kafiu.gif