Plastron pyramiding?

Aalgaard

My sulcata tortoise is about 1 1/2 years old and has been growing a lot in these summer months eating more often. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499225624.421663.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499225683.119296.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499225710.217189.jpgI noticed when he was soaking he has a red line down the middle of his plastron and I'm worried that it's a problem. Or maybe he's just growing so fast. Also does it look like he's pyramiding at all on the top part? If anyone can help that would be great! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499225778.180602.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I noticed when he was soaking he has a red line down the middle of his plastron and I'm worried that it's a problem.
That pink line in the middle of its plastron, I can't tell you what causes it or what it is, but somewhere in my memories of hatchlings to younger tortoises I seem to remember seeing it and not being concerned enough to mention it. So I would take it easy unless someone comes along with something alarming. As far as pyramiding taking place, yes there's some on the outside edges not what would normally be referred to as pyramiding. It can be stopped easily following the regular care sheets.
I've never heard anyone talk of or mention "plastron" pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise looks normal, and plastrons don't pyramid.

The pink line is fairly normal and seems to show up during growth spurts.

Bee62

Germany
The pink lines are called "growth lines" and they show that your tort is growing well.
New growth needs to be good supplied with blood. That`s what you see.
When you have a close look you will notice that these growth lines are also horizontal on the plastron of your tort.