Play date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
So my friend and I both have Russian tortoises now and we were wondering if we could have a play date? Or will they get sick or something?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
2 things to remember 1. they don't really like company especially russians, they are just fine by themselves. 2. there is always a concern for sickness to happen, I just would not risk it myself, just to have a play date, that they don't really need or want.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I agree with ddjm dont risk your tort if I remember right you are from Mass an it is getting cold down here for you to take him in and out just for a play date it is not worth it if he gets sick but it is your call :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If both are males, you'll likely have a battle.

If both are females, they may ignore one another or there may be a domination display.

If one is a male. the other is a female, eventually they might mate, but I'm guessing not until spring.

Russians are ornery little suckers! :cool:

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
There is no need or want for your torts to get together...it will only make the humans happy as they think the torts are happy...introducing a friend for a short period of time can cause stress, territory issues (friend coming into the territory), fights, illness (transfer of parasites or colds), etc. Having a tort friend over to your tort's indoor enclosure is way different from keeping a heard of torts in a large outdoor enclosure after quarantine. Personally I wouldn't do it...your tort won't gain anything by it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Get a bunny..

Torts arent like a dog.. they like to be left alone.. and watched.. not played with.
Yours is brand new.. you need to give him time to settle and adjust. Too much stress is not good or healthy.
Plus what has already been said.
They can be enjoyed in other ways.. but not like a social domestic animal.
;-)

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
kay i was just wondering :) ill tell my friend i dont wanna risk it! thanks for the help guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.