Please help!! (found neighbor's tortoise)

daisychain00

Hello!
We have just come back from holiday and came home to a tortoise!! We were a bit miffed but it turned out that one of our neighbours had lost him! We don't know much about tortoises and have never owned one so would like some advice on what to do (we are having to look after him as the owner has gone on holiday). He is currently in one of our guinea pig hutches in the shed/playhouse with hay, bark chip and water. we fed him some cucumber and parsley, is this OK and do we need to add anything. He isn't moving much and is in the corner under the hay, we have tried putting him in the dish of water though to see if he would drink in but he didn't however he has been eating.
Thank you!!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Your neighbour doesn't want him back?

What species of tortoise are we talking about? Advice will vary with species.

daisychain00

not 100% sure but I think he is either a Hermann's tortoise or a Russian tortoise. The neighbour has just moved in and we haven't met her but she has gone on holiday so because we found him, we are having to look after him for a little while.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's a Russian. Where are you located? He needs broad leafy greens and tort safe weeds. He also needs to bask in the sun or under a UVB heat bulb. If you can house him outside in an area that has sun and shade you won't need to buy a light. Also give him a hide to go into at night.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please give your tort daily soaks in warm water. And read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that's ok for a temporary housing situation until your neighbor gets back.

daisychain00

Ok, should he be on grass or is it better on bark chip?? Does he need hay or anything to keep him in and is the water ok in a small frisbee. Should I keep putting him in it to see if he will drink it or will he do it himself?? Sorry, so many questions!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ok, should he be on grass or is it better on bark chip?? Does he need hay or anything to keep him in and is the water ok in a small frisbee. Should I keep putting him in it to see if he will drink it or will he do it himself?? Sorry, so many questions!!

Do not apologize. we are here to help.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bark is ok and the frisbee is ok

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

angdrinking.jpg

See the dish above? I have one similar to it for my tort.

Melanie S.

I do know that parsley isn't good for them. It has diuretic properties that can dehydrate the little guy. As far as herbs go, oregano and lavender are the only things in my garden that are ok for my Russian, although he doesn't care for them much...he's a picky guy and he doesn't like very fragrant foods. If you can, find dandelions and sowthistle and clover weeds for the little guy, if not, leafy greens such as mustard greens or kale from the grocery store works just fine :)
I hope you enjoy your tortoise time!!