Please help identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
This is basically a rescue turtle that would have been released to the wild without intervention (the fingernail polish on his/her shell is not our doing, nor would we ever allow it, and I refuse to clean it as I have no idea how the chemicals will effect him/her). I am adverse to introducing foreign species to new environs so I volunteered to take him/her. I spoke to some people knowledgable about turtles and did some research on line and I assume it is a Russian, but I would like to narrow the identification so I do not give it too much or too little humidity, etc...

I included a picture of the tank and he/she does not attempt to claw at the side. This is a high volume tank and "Ted" is the only resident. I tried to get my son to give the turtle an androgynous name, until we could be sure of gender, but he was impatient.

Pics are here:

0000379.jpg

0000381f.jpg

0000382n.jpg

My ultimate plan is to build a hide of heavy flat stone, so that he/she can hide and climb. the half hollow log is his current hide. I also plan to give him frequent forays into the outside world come spring. We do allow him exercise on the living room floor twice weekly (careful that no foreign matter is there that he might consume). The cats have shown some curiosity but have left him unmolested, thanks in part to our dog who has taken it on herself to protect "Ted". Any help would be appreciated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
russian tortoise AKA horsefield, good thing you stopped it from being released to the wild, they are not native to the US, if that is where you are from, also it is a male from the looks of things.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Welcome! And good job on the save!!! Check out some of the other threads, there is one just for Russian torts and someone should be able to give you a caresheet on what to feed, temps, humidity, uv, soaking etc.... I see you have "fruity pebbles" (multi colored food) in his dish - I have heard not to feed that but to stick mainly to spring mix greens (minus the spinach) and lots of it. Good luck and congratulations on your new family member... I am assuming the nail polish will eventually wear off and would not worry about it. Looks pretty heathy otherwise, nice smooth shell.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Wow, that was fast. Is it easier to identify from the bottom, and do russian gender identify by length of tail like other tortoises (hmmm, torti or tortoises)? Yes I am from Montana. Is the tank big enough for him, The climate is not conducive to him living out of doors, it is -5 degrees atm. I will check the rest of the forum for other information.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
russian tortoises are pretty easy to sex once they get to a certain size, males have long tails held to the side, females have short tails. I didn't notice the "fruity pebbles" store bought tortoise food, I would switch to spring mix since I imagine in moptana right now weeds and other plants are a little short in supply.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
For sure a male Russian. Kudos on the save!! I got my first bearded dragon much the same way... The previous owner was just going to let him go if no one wanted him. Really have to hate people who would do such a thing to a defenseless animal!

I agree with Jessicap, ditch the "fruity pebbles" food... The only commercial foods I've heard considered good to feed are Mazuri and ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food, and even then just as a supplement/treat. He should be fed a variety of greens. For one tort, Spring Mix pre-packaged salad works like a charm (preferably one without spinach, like Earthbound Farms).

On the enclosure, keep an eye on him. It looks too narrow, if not just too small, in the pics. It may be fine, but you may find it's too small for him once you get in even just all the bare necessities: at least 2 hides, a feeding tile, and a water dish. As well, Russians are burrowers and need a deep substrate level. The inch or so it looks like you have down right now isn't enough to satisfy the little guy's digging urges.

http://russiantortoise.org is the highest recommended care sheet/website for Russians. In addition to that website, though, you'll learn a LOT just by sticking around here and reading what threads you can find pertaining to Russians. Start with the forums titled Enclosures, Food and Diet, and Russian Tortoises.

Also, welcome to the forum!

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I think your tank is probably big enough, however glass tanks are bad for a few different reasons ie, poor ventilation, and torts get stressed if they can see out too well. Do you know what kind of bark that is you are using for a substrate? It seems the perfered substrate for russians is a mix of sand/topsoil and coconut fiber...well my tort seems to like it anyway :) Good luck and great job on the rescue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first time I opened this thread the pictures were SO BIG that I had to use the bar on the bottom of the screen to move it over in order to be able to read the words. It was like three screens wide. So I made my "complaining" post. Now this time they are normal size. So I removed my post. Sorry for complaining. It must have been my computer that didn't re-size.. but now it did.

Russian male tortoise all the way. We have a member, Egyptiandan, who is able to distinguish between the three or four different sub-species of Russian tortoise. You probably don't care unless you intend to get a female to breed him with.

Russian tortoises are great little pets. You and your son (if you give the tortoise back!!) are just going to enjoy the heck out of him.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I will keep reading the info on the forum and keep all this in mind. The tank is bare only until I know what I need for him. I hate to put out a lot of expense only to find out that I did to much and created more problems. He is active and the tank he was originally in was way too small. I figured a 100 gal tank would be large enough but if it proves to be too small I will replace it. As for ventilation, I designed it so that the heat lamp was far enough to one side that it created a convection effect and make for constant air movement. Can I put a border around the bottom so that he is not so stressed? He appears genuinely curious about us and will often come to the glass to look at us. I have always held that animals are much more intelligent than given credit for.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Mean Guy said:
Thanks everyone, I will keep reading the info on the forum and keep all this in mind. The tank is bare only until I know what I need for him. I hate to put out a lot of expense only to find out that I did to much and created more problems. He is active and the tank he was originally in was way too small. I figured a 100 gal tank would be large enough but if it proves to be too small I will replace it. As for ventilation, I designed it so that the heat lamp was far enough to one side that it created a convection effect and make for constant air movement. Can I put a border around the bottom so that he is not so stressed? He appears genuinely curious about us and will often come to the glass to look at us. I have always held that animals are much more intelligent than given credit for.

For russians, the most important thing is ventilation. Since they're not as prone to pyramiding, humidity isn't as important to them as to other torts. If the aquarium can allow airflow, has enough floor area, and he isn't constantly scratching the sides, then they're by all means recommended. He's curious about his new surroundings. As long as he doesn't continuoslly try to climb out, an aquarium is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.