Please help! My dog savaged a tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
DO NOT clean with hydrogen provide. It will only make the wound worse and painful. Instead use a antiseptic solution to clean the wound. Afterwards, use a antibiotic ointment and keep it bandaged and dry. Place him on a clean towel and make sure he's darn. Then he must go to a vet!!!
yagyujubei said:
It's pretty bad. The front where it's broken is the biggest problem. If you can't find a vet to help. the wounds need to be cleaned and kept clean and dry. Keep it warm. 3% hydrogen peroxide will help clean the wounds. See if it will eat. Don't keep it in the dark. Good luck.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Has he shown any signs of wanting to eat? you may have to gently hand-feed him for a while. You may want to start with some fruit. You were fortunate that he wasn't killed and you found a specialize vet. I have a thread written by Tom below my name. Even though you experienced what no tort owner would ever want to go through, I still recommend your reading it. We always try to warn owners if they have dogs. I guess I missed you.

Budgey

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Has he shown any signs of wanting to eat? you may have to gently hand-feed him for a while. You may want to start with some fruit. You were fortunate that he wasn't killed and you found a specialize vet. I have a thread written by Tom below my name. Even though you experienced what no tort owner would ever want to go through, I still recommend your reading it. We always try to warn owners if they have dogs. I guess I missed you.

Hi Sibi! All I know is that he's doing well, so I presume he's eating ok as the rescue centre is already talking about moving him to a sanctuary. The little guy is actually wild, so I'm not the owner. I just felt a responsibility as it was my dog that did the damage, but regardless of that I would do the same for any animal in need whatever the circumstances. I have owned several dogs, but this is the first one that actively seeks out and wants to attack wild tortoises - hence the investment in a muzzle!

Perhaps I will own tortoises one day; they seem like fascinating creatures. Might have to wait 'til the current doggie is off the scene, though... :p

Thanks again everyone.

Terry (the other one)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You would be a great tortoise owner. Your quick, caring response to this wild one proves that. If you got a spot you can dog proof, there is a tortoise out there that would love to be your friend:) Thanks for being one of the good people and caring about animals of all kind.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.