please help

Checkers The Tort

my tort has a healthy diet in my opinion but I want others. I feed him red tipped lettuce with shredded zucchini and shredded yellow squash with some small skinny carrots. I'm not sure if this is what he needs. I've been feeding him this for over 1 year and a half. he seems to like it but I'm not sure and I want other opinions. in the photo he doesn't have the zucchini or squash and that was the last bit of the lettuce but that's what his diet it. and I sometimes feed him fruit. not often though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What kind of tortoise do you have? He should have a more widely varied diet. The world is full of edibles, especially in the summer.

Checkers The Tort

What kind of tortoise do you have? He should have a more widely varied diet. The world is full of edibles, especially in the summer.
I have a Russian tort. and I've been thinking about that but my lawn has weed killer and there's nothing for him go eat in my lawn. the pet store I bought him from said that's what he should eat.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I don't have a russian, but I found this link:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ises-marginated-greeks-russians-sulcata.5823/

It's a hefty list of things you can choose to feed your tortoise. I would suggest buying some seeds and growing your own weeds indoors with no pesticides.

Lettuce doesn't have much nutritional value to it, although it's fine as part of a varied diet. Carrots can be fed occasionally but not all the time, same with zucchini and squash. If you have a varied diet, you don't have to worry about the consequences of feeding the same things.

Here is a link to help you with what foods you can feed to your tortoise:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

I like this site because it tells you WHY you shouldn't feed too much of this or that. Please check it out.