Please identify!

vlad21

My friend rescued this tortoise from the wild. Northern California. We cannot figure out what kind he is. His shell closes all the way which I've heard isn't normal for a tortoise, and he looks like a monster! If anyone can identify this typeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452743619.109612.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452743632.931422.jpg please let me know :) thank you!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He's some type of box turtle. As far as I know they aren't native to California so must be someone's lost pet. I would try to ask the neighbors if they lost him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
box turtle by the look of the shell I think it's a three-toed. definitely not a California native

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). If he was "rescued" from the wilds of California, he was actually someone's lost pet, as box turtles are not native to California. He has a great-looking shell. Usually at this size/age, they shells have worn smooth, and yet you can still see all the growth lines on this shell. He will make someone a wonderful pet.

vlad21

Three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). If he was "rescued" from the wilds of California, he was actually someone's lost pet, as box turtles are not native to California. He has a great-looking shell. Usually at this size/age, they shells have worn smooth, and yet you can still see all the growth lines on this shell. He will make someone a wonderful pet.
I guess he found him a couple years ago, and he found him on the side of the road with a cracked shell and all.