Can you identify?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I just read everyone's comments. I'm 100% positive it's pure 3toed. This coloration does occur in Louisiana in areas where gulf coast are not found. I had a female with similar coloration that escaped a few years back . So it's not a "common" coloration but it's normal enough not to suspect integration. The shell shape , size, head shape, etc. all say pure 3toed.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
I just read everyone's comments. I'm 100% positive it's pure 3toed. This coloration does occur in Louisiana in areas where gulf coast are not found. I had a female with similar coloration that escaped a few years back . So it's not a "common" coloration but it's normal enough not to suspect integration. The shell shape , size, head shape, etc. all say pure 3toed.
That's exactly what a couple of my friends said. Also, I was told that this coloring is not uncommon here in this part of Louisiana. I sure wish that I had a pic of his back claws.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's a female 3toed. My buddy Tony sent me those pictures right after you moved it off the road! Lol you sent them to him asking him what it was. It's about as unique and beautiful of a female 3toed as the come. You were lucky to witness such a beauty .

But it's undoubtedly a female 3toed

Wow, I've never seen a 3 toed with spots on the carapace. I have a female 3-toed who's spotted like that, but only on her skin her carapace is plain brown....

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
It's a female 3toed. My buddy Tony sent me those pictures right after you moved it off the road! Lol you sent them to him asking him what it was. It's about as unique and beautiful of a female 3toed as the come. You were lucky to witness such a beauty .

Yes! You are right! I gave him my Hermanns tort. Small world! Lol

Bighungry83

5 Year Member

A female with red eyes? I've never seen a female with red eyes. They have always been brown.

greek

looks like an Ornate to me too. if not, i seriously need to brush up on my box ID skills while here

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Females can and often do have reddish colored eyes. 3toed males aren't famous for bright red eyes either. I have males that have black or brown eyes. I promise you this is a female 3toed box turtle. There is not a doubt in my mind and they have been my passion for 30 years.

It's not at all ornate. Ornates don't occur in that region.

If only we could go find that turtle so I could prove it! lol

Bighungry83

5 Year Member
Females can and often do have reddish colored eyes. 3toed males aren't famous for bright red eyes either. I have males that have black or brown eyes. I promise you this is a female 3toed box turtle. There is not a doubt in my mind and they have been my passion for 30 years.

Haha. You seem way more confident than me so I'll defer. If I found her I'm not sure I would be disciplined enough to put her back. SHE'S a beauty.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member

Diamonbp- i will be on the outlook for her from now on....
I knew it wasn't an ornate. The spots threw me off! Lol