Poop (again!) - Very interesting thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Everyone,

This is definitely not the first time anyone has wrote about this subject but the subject has me thinking again. Tortoises eating their own poop. yessssss.... We know it happens, we know it's gross but I've had months where I haven't taken my guy out of his home and don't see ONE pile anywhere to be found. Of course he's eating it or he's holding it in.

Well, every time I do remove him from his enclosure it's a HUGE relief for him. It's just a huge bathroom party and I'm not talking about one pile.. I'm talking about copious amounts of stool, dung, fertilizer... whatever you wish to call it. Well I don't think he is going regularly at all. It isn't normal the amount that is coming out of him. It's like the only think on his mind when I remove him.

So the thought is that you can't just live your ENTIRE life eating food and eating your poop. It's impossible for any living thing to lead a healthy life with no output. Everything in life has toxins in it and there can't be a perfect food that would be 100% utilized by their digestive system. It just can't happen like that. I'm positive in the wild they don't snip a loaf, turn around, eat it and move merrily along their way. When I take him out of the enclosure he poops, walks, poops, over and over again. I just can't believe the amount. 5-6 massive sized ones.

Yes I know he's probably a little stressed but I don't that that would be the root all of him holding it in all day. He does walk around his enclosure during the day, waiting for food. But as soon as I remove him it's time for him to extrude. I know that everyone is convinced that eating fresh food and recycling 100% of their stool is ok, but I don't think so. I am now going to remove him every day or two to allow him to get rid of it.

Comments?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just think of it as "recycling." Whatever nutrients were not absorbed the first time have a better chance of doing the tortoise some good the second time.

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Yvonne that is a really pleasant way of looking at it. Makes it not quite so GROSS. I realize animals are animals but yuck. :(

Dawna

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Even a relatively large poop can dehydrate down to a small dry hard mass that can be difficult to distinguish in the substrate, so it is not a given that they are eating all of it.

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Yeah I have looked in the little sphagnum moss that I have in the enclosure and there is nothing. I'm just saying I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't be healthy for living thing to always eat their poo for the rest of their lives.. No output, just input? Their digestion or food I'm feeding isn't that good. Trust me when I say that he eats all his poo for a few months straight...

I'm still not a believer...

S

superpooper

5 Year Member
hhahah good one. our redfoot does the same thing when i take him out. this one time he was just sitting there, and suddenly i heard him gas it, and it just kept coming. i mean this thing must have weighed 10 courics. my roomie was on the phone watching the whole thing and had a totally freaked out look on his face. i dont ever see any doo in his tank, i think it dries up or he eats it. yep....wash your hands after!!

shawngt2 said:
Everyone,

This is definitely not the first time anyone has wrote about this subject but the subject has me thinking again. Tortoises eating their own poop. yessssss.... We know it happens, we know it's gross but I've had months where I haven't taken my guy out of his home and don't see ONE pile anywhere to be found. Of course he's eating it or he's holding it in.

Well, every time I do remove him from his enclosure it's a HUGE relief for him. It's just a huge bathroom party and I'm not talking about one pile.. I'm talking about copious amounts of stool, dung, fertilizer... whatever you wish to call it. Well I don't think he is going regularly at all. It isn't normal the amount that is coming out of him. It's like the only think on his mind when I remove him.

So the thought is that you can't just live your ENTIRE life eating food and eating your poop. It's impossible for any living thing to lead a healthy life with no output. Everything in life has toxins in it and there can't be a perfect food that would be 100% utilized by their digestive system. It just can't happen like that. I'm positive in the wild they don't snip a loaf, turn around, eat it and move merrily along their way. When I take him out of the enclosure he poops, walks, poops, over and over again. I just can't believe the amount. 5-6 massive sized ones.

Yes I know he's probably a little stressed but I don't that that would be the root all of him holding it in all day. He does walk around his enclosure during the day, waiting for food. But as soon as I remove him it's time for him to extrude. I know that everyone is convinced that eating fresh food and recycling 100% of their stool is ok, but I don't think so. I am now going to remove him every day or two to allow him to get rid of it.

Comments?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I never knew where Pio's went either. One day I saw this and from then on I always try to find it first. I notice that he actually searches for it, if he doesn't get it right away. This was taken over a year ago.As you can see, he would rather eat "poop" than pineapple.
scan0009-4.jpg

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Is he ignoring the food to go to the poop? lol

I'm glad my russian has never eaten poop that I know of (he leaves me a present everyday)....

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
OMG, That is hilarious, the music is such a great choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.