poor little red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TEXASSSS
okkkkk i saw a red fooot at petsmarrt that they just got and they had it in a tiny little aquarium and i dont even think he could even get to his water or food
he was in the corner half covered with his half log which took up 90 percent of the cage andd it had fake plants in there!
but my deal is i am willing to buy him and give him to this guy that has lots of red foots and loves torts
i have 2 sulcatas already and not enough room for another enclosure since they arent to be living together
or else i would take that poor little guy
but my question is how old is a softball sized red foot if he is healthy?
like a yr a half maybe?"
idk i cant find anything on the web to heelp
so if yall could help that would be greaaaat! :) thankss

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Hi Kendallll, its a terrible thing to see how the pet stores treat tortoises. Does the RF have any pyramiding? It is really next to impossible to give an exact age with out knowing the day he hatched. With no pyramiding and it looks like a healthy tort, I would say about a year and half or two years. May be a little older if he has been mistreated previously.

Your doing a great thing by being willing help the poor guy. Hope it works out!

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
TEXASSSS
he doesnt have any pyramidding
and it said nothing about a hatch date and of course no one from the store knew either
i couldnt see his face though just a little of his shell
but from wht i saw from his shell he looks pretty gooood
i just hope when i buy him someone with experience and a good place for him wants him cas my parents woulddd freak if i brought another animal in my house lol

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I am sure you can find a good loving home him. He is probably roughly 2 years old then.

I see what you mean about your parents, that really sucks. I LOVE MY PARENTS, :D they let me have the whole backyard for my torts, lol!

Let the people at the pet shop see you interested in the redfoot and they should let you hold him, Maybe even take a few pics.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I will tell you what a wise person on this site told me about what you are experiencing...when it happened to me.

If you buy this little guy, they are just going to order a new one to take it's place. Not that one should be sacrificed for the good of all, but what are we saying when we spend our money to a box store who obviously doesn't care one way or another if the tortoise is bought or actually taken care of. They have what they want, your business. Who is going to buy the next one they ship in?

We can't save them all.....as sad as it is....

So, did you buy the RF?

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Dixie...... Cant agree with you more....
Up here the RF babies at the box stores go for between 500 and 800 each and are sadly neglected ect ect...... Whenever I have access to a wholesale lot from a breeder i keep the prices sane when I sell them and at less than half the store price..... and I try to make sure NO ONE spends that there as they are just fueling the fire so to speak when i see them 4 years later still in the 20 gallon they were sold with and all the trimmings with the pyrimided shell ect ect...
I buy my supplies at the VET..... and my babies from breeders..... I do my best to keep this hobby in the hands of the hobbiests :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is sad to see them there, I feel it every time I go into petsmart/petco and see all of those poor russians sitting in their tanks, though the russians seem to sell quickly in my area. Remember if you buy it they will replace it to sell again, I am not saying don't buy it, because I think most of us would feel the same as you do, but don't be surprised if you see another in it's place in less than a month. At the very least you could and try to educate the store so they can keep better care of them until they are sold. Let us know what ever you decide to do.

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
TEXASSSS
welllll i havent heard back from anyone about them getting him from me
and like i said i cant keeep him so i have to make sure someone good will take him before i do so he will have a place to go
i knowww the petstores are sooo stupid! i love petstores but all the people are uneducated and really dont care
i went to get some substrate for my sulcatas and they were all telling me "tips" on caring for them i wass like yeaa right!
one lady told me dont worry about what they eat! and said that if they arent sposed to eat it like a poisonious plant or whatever that they wont eat it
like they will know what to eat and what not to eat
i was like well mine try to eat dog poop and dog toys.....

i dont understand people that dont love animals so thinking of all the behind the scenes, where they get the animals, who they get them from, and how they trreat them at petstores and any other place that doesnt care FRUSTRATES MEEE SO MUCHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.