Poor "Socata" in Michigan

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you see things like this, email them with some advice to better the torts life. Recommend that they look at the forum or join. I also recommend that they don't sell the enclosure with the tort as its way too small for him. The tort needs a voice and we need to be it when we see things like this. Posting it here helps a little, but not enough and feeling sorry for it but saying nothing, does nothing. At least saying something might help the tort.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Thanks for the inspirational words of wisdom. This is why I re-posted here.

The email address is listed right on the linked post. You are more than welcome to contact them and initiate an educational interaction, if you think it will help the welfare of an animal.

Personally, I think that if they are selling the tortoise for $50, they really do not care very much about the animal or its welfare. Or it is stolen. Either way, the best solution is to get it out of that home and go from there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did email them. Like I said reposting does help. There's more you could do. You have no idea if they even know the proper way to care for it. Most are still getting poor info. They probably were told it would stay small. No need to get offended or snippy. Most people don't even think about emailing them and offering some help. I speak up for animals to anyone and every one. I'm not one to just sit back and feel sorry for an animal without at least trying to help it.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Thanks for emailing them. I would venture a guess, judging by the current setup, that they have no knowledge of proper tortoise husbandry & hopefully they will listen to your suggestions.

Sorry if I came across as "snippy", not intended that way. I also emailed them and asked a few questions of my own.

We both want whats best for the animal, and I think the internet causes a lot of misinterpretation when it comes to topics that people are passionate about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's disgusting, however, I see it almost every time I take in a 'rescue.'

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
yes email them because people on Craigslist are completely sane and normal (sarcasm). The pyramid he isn't that bad to be honest with you but it's got the beginnings of Metabolic Bone disorder and you can guarantee that cage been it's home it's an entire life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keeping a sulcata in an aquarium that small is almost as bad as drilling a hole and tethering a tortoise so he can't get away.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
If everything goes as planned (i.e seller does not back out or disappear), I am going to pick the tortoise up after work. Seller was very responsive, and it sounds like there is no emotional connection at all. He may as well be selling a spare tire or broken lawnmower. Sad, but true.

We will make room for the animal in our home & give it best possible care.

Would still like to rehome, but am ready to keep forever if need be. Poor thing has suffered enough.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If everything goes as planned (i.e seller does not back out or disappear), I am going to pick the tortoise up after work. Seller was very responsive, and it sounds like there is no emotional connection at all. He may as well be selling a spare tire or broken lawnmower. Sad, but true.

We will make room for the animal in our home & give it best possible care.

Would still like to rehome, but am ready to keep forever if need be. Poor thing has suffered enough.
if you're in no rush you can take your time to find a good forever home or keep it. At least it's in a better place now

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
yes email them because people on Craigslist are completely sane and normal (sarcasm). The pyramid he isn't that bad to be honest with you but it's got the beginnings of Metabolic Bone disorder and you can guarantee that cage been it's home it's an entire life.

I hope the MBD is not too bad/advanced.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for emailing them. I would venture a guess, judging by the current setup, that they have no knowledge of proper tortoise husbandry & hopefully they will listen to your suggestions.

Sorry if I came across as "snippy", not intended that way. I also emailed them and asked a few questions of my own.

We both want whats best for the animal, and I think the internet causes a lot of misinterpretation when it comes to topics that people are passionate about.
That's okay. I didn't mean to come across in any way other then suggesting what else could be done to help the tortoise.
I have had great responses when emailing and letting them know proper things to do. Of course there is always those that just don't think they need help. We can't save them all, but we can try. That's all I'm asking. Then we just can hope they take the advice.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Saw this on my daily Craigslist search..... poor guy.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/for/5799617821.html

Surprisingly pretty healthy looking, mild pyramiding and eyes look healthy. Hopefully he has not been stuck in that small tank for long.

I do not have room for him, but would gladly go save him if somebody can guarantee a forever home

PM me if interested.
That poor tort in the first pic is pyramiding like mad! Sorry, there isn't much I can do.

Holly'sMom

What is metabolic Bone disorder???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What is metabolic Bone disorder???
MBD is commonly known as rickets in humans.

Basically, bone density becomes very low as the body gets insufficient calcium. This leads to soft bones and problems walking and also to soft shell in tortoises.

It's not just a question of eating enough calcium. In order to process the calcium the human or tortoise needs enough Vitamin D3.

Both humans and tortoises make vitamin D3 by being exposed to UVB light. The best source of UVB is the sun, however tortoises kept indoors can get it from a special lightbulb. :)

Holly'sMom

Ahh ok. Thankfully I've been doing the outside sun as much as possible I'm In PA but we've been lucky w 80plus days still), and we have 2 13in UVB plus we've been doing the calcium w added Vitamin d3. I assumed that was just to help digestion and just needed vitamins they wouldn't get being captive.

HuskyDaneMom

What are the signs that indicate he has the beginnings of MBD? There seems to be lots of talk about pyramiding but not MBD.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Metabolic Bone disorder usually results in a misshapen shell. normally a tortoise shell is round even if it's pyramided if you look at the picture very carefully you can see a little bit of a ring around the bottom of the show that's the first signs very mild so lots of good food & Sunshine should help tremendously

Holly'sMom

Is there any other signs like not eating or ? Anything that would indicate there is an issue before the issue of growth begins to be notable?