Possible Shell Rot

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
The UVB bulb is probably about 10 inches away from them. They're housed together, the red foot is a male the yellow foot is female. They're doing injections because it's been super aggressive, and the red foot was allergic to the oral antibiotics

They are way too small to determine sex. I don't think you will know until one of them flashes you or they come of age.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would ask your vet...If there is no shell rot, there is no reason for the betadine scrubs. Injections are really hard on little tortoises and shell rot is usually just treated with a topical fungal cream. @Yvonne G what do you think?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
A lot of vets don't really know anything about tortoises so I would be careful. A common red flag of this would be vitamin injections, which can slough off their skin and sometimes overdose the tortoise. Vitamin injections are usually fine in mammals.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I wasn't referring to the shots you were giving your tortoises, I was just saying vitamin injections (not bacterial injections) are often a sign your vet is a bad one for your tortoise. just something to look out for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would ask your vet...If there is no shell rot, there is no reason for the betadine scrubs. Injections are really hard on little tortoises and shell rot is usually just treated with a topical fungal cream. @Yvonne G what do you think?

Well, I've already said what I THINK it is - soft shell=calcium deficiency. In other words, the light isn't working. The light the OP said they have over the tortoise is not the correct light and is not putting out enough UVB to help the calcium. If the babies can be put in the sun for an hour or so every day it would help immensely. Otherwise, they must invest in an expensive UVB light.

M

Maggie Cummings

I totally agree with Yvonne, get a Powersun 100 watt UVB basking bulb, about $50. Look on EBay and Amazon. Sometime you can find them somewhat cheaper at the discount petmed places on line. Can you put them outside daily? Sun is needed to process the D3 and that REALLY looks like your problem....The calcium is not absorbed without the UVB rays from a good bulb or the sun.

Nicoletheforth

Well, I've already said what I THINK it is - soft shell=calcium deficiency. In other words, the light isn't working. The light the OP said they have over the tortoise is not the correct light and is not putting out enough UVB to help the calcium. If the babies can be put in the sun for an hour or so every day it would help immensely. Otherwise, they must invest in an expensive UVB light.
Does it seem like MBD at all? And if it's just soft shell then that doesn't explain the smell, does it?

Randi

Canada
I would find a new vet. Your torts show no signs of fungus/shell rot on their plastrons. The injections need to stop. It seems there is no reason for the injections. Injections would be warranted if the shell rot was severe - if it penetrates the plastron and starts going further into the body. Yours aren't even showing signs of any fungus or rot.

I am posting a picture of my Red Foot that was actually affected by severe fungus/shell rot so you can compare to yours. You're going to see that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your torts.

First and second pic - covered in fungus.
Third and fourth - fungus free and a scarred plastron.
Fifth - her plastron currently. I had put lotion on her plastron after a nice scrub.
1407168023677.jpg1407168053315.jpg1408027394107.jpg20141007_101319.jpg
20150418_201746.jpg

Last edited:
M

Maggie Cummings

Stop the betadine scrubs. Get a good bulb, and yes, they're expensive, but if you can't put them outside then an expensive bulb is what you're going to have to do. 12 inches away from them. I do not have your species, but I understand they like it humid and not so bright. So put a lot of stuff they can get under to get away from the light. Do some research right here on TFO on your species and learn about them. And keep asking us questions. Keep us posted...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is why you need to have a uvb meter . So you can check your lamps . Some pet stores have them and will test your lamps for you . The meter cost around two hundred bucks. A pet store will charge you about ten bucks to test your lamp . If your tortoises shell is getting softer it is a bad lamp . The only thing that will help them is a good uvb source asap . At this point I would get them outside in the sun asap .

Nicoletheforth

I've been taking them outside in the sun since it was recommended and it seems to be making a difference for my yellow foot. My red foot still has the puckering and a very strong smell coming off of him.