Possibly a dumb question

DanH44

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse NY
I don’t mean to sound like a moron here but I do have a question lol. My mini deep dome lamp with a 100w basking bulb is abit to far away from an outlet. I got an extension cord which has about the same thickness wire as the lamp. I look at the tag on the extension cord and it says 13watt max. Is this bulb way to much for the extension cord even though it is about the same gauge wire as the lamp?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can't go by comparing outside diameter of the cords. The label, if it's still attached should tell you the gauge, however it's a moot point because your 100 watt bulb far exceeds the maximum wattage on the extension cord.

As an aside, I don't like those deep dome fixtures. The wide domes allow for better heat/light distribution.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don’t mean to sound like a moron here but I do have a question lol. My mini deep dome lamp with a 100w basking bulb is abit to far away from an outlet. I got an extension cord which has about the same thickness wire as the lamp. I look at the tag on the extension cord and it says 13watt max. Is this bulb way to much for the extension cord even though it is about the same gauge wire as the lamp?

Are you sure its not 13amp max?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That extension cord is perfectly fine for your bulb. You could run 10 of those bulbs off that one extension cord. The cord is rated for 13 AMPS I would bet. No extension cord would be rated for 13 watts. Most of the "standard" household lamp extension cords are 16 ga cords and rated for 13 amps which is roughly 1600 watts capacity.

I agree with @Yvonne G I don't like the deep domes. They overheat the bulbs and shorten the life.