predator proofing outdoor pen

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I recently made an outdoor pen for my Russian out of a dog pool and i am very happy with how it turned out. I am concerned about large birds and 4 legged predators potentially harming my little guy and didnt know if any one had any suggestions. I have chicken wire laying around and was going to try to rig something up. He was out this evening for two hours and wasnt messed with but I want to be safe. I live in the suburbs fwiw. Also any suggestions to his pen are more than welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220417-225521_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220417-225521_Snapchat.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I recently made an outdoor pen for my Russian out of a dog pool and i am very happy with how it turned out. I am concerned about large birds and 4 legged predators potentially harming my little guy and didnt know if any one had any suggestions. I have chicken wire laying around and was going to try to rig something up. He was out this evening for two hours and wasnt messed with but I want to be safe. I live in the suburbs fwiw. Also any suggestions to his pen are more than welcome.
Where are you?

I'd like to see more shade and maybe a plant or too. Potted plants work. Another terra cotta saucer would make a much better water bowl too.

Its unlikely that anything will mess with him during the day, other than a domestic dog, but put a chicken wire cover over the top is not a bad idea.

Angiegirl68

venice
IMG_20210825_190844228.jpgI just finished mine inside on my front lanai.
I'm in SWFL- I had a problem with hawks. Sitting on the top of the outdoor pen. Those darn birds are strong. They bent my chicken wire up bad. Luckily I was home that day.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I live in virginia. I plan on using some cork bark or lumber to make a lean-to for more cover, and the kitchen roof gives some shade in the area of his pen. I can switch out his saucer for a terracotta one, thats what i use for his indoor table. As for plants I would like to add some, just worried about chemicals that might be on them and need to look into tortoise safe species.Luckily none of the neighboors let their dogs wonder about so racoons at night are my only worry i guess besides hawks
Thanks!

Angiegirl68

venice
View attachment 343374I just finished mine inside on my front lanai.
I'm in SWFL- I had a problem with hawks. Sitting on the top of the outdoor pen. Those darn birds are strong. They bent my chicken wire up bad. Luckily I was home that day.
She also has 3 enclosures- water bowl. She's got the whole porch 😊
Tried planting celery and lettuce but she just digs it up. She didn't like that experiment.
She comes to my front door and will push on it. I've watched her- it's hilarious.
I'll open it- she comes in and plays with the dog toys. Gets a snack and out she goes .LOVE her (Myrtle) Shes a tortoise but Myrtle the turtle fit. I was living in Myrtle Beach. She's So much Fun !!

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
She also has 3 enclosures- water bowl. She's got the whole porch 😊
Tried planting celery and lettuce but she just digs it up. She didn't like that experiment.
She comes to my front door and will push on it. I've watched her- it's hilarious.
I'll open it- she comes in and plays with the dog toys. Gets a snack and out she goes .LOVE her (Myrtle) Shes a tortoise but Myrtle the turtle fit. I was living in Myrtle Beach. She's So much Fun !!
Yea i still live at home so space is a constraint and i know my dad wont let me take over the back porch haha.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
View attachment 343374I just finished mine inside on my front lanai.
Yes, I was going to say . . chicken wire is NOT a suitable Shield/enclosure.
Many predators would just shred chicken wire.
Expanded Metal/mesh would be much more suitable...IMHO

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I was going to say . . chicken wire is NOT a suitable Shield/enclosure.
Many predators would just shred chicken wire.
Expanded Metal/mesh would be much more suitable...IMHO
Chicken wire will stop birds, but not raccoons, dogs, or coyotes. Welded wire is the way to go for those. 1x2 inch is made from heavier wire. It comes in 100' x 4 foot tall rolls. You can buy smaller pieces too.