Prickly Pear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nano

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was just wondering if prickly pear is ok to feed a baby sulcata? I know that they shouldn't have a ton of fruit, if any, but was wondering if the cactus fruit was different?

Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Cactus fruit is often called 'tuna' or 'Cactus pear'. Prickly pear is commonly referred to the actual cactus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prickly_pear This is just for information purposes.
Now I feed my hatchling greeks a bite or two of the fruit evey now and again. But like any other fruit it has a more consentrated amount of sugars and therefore can cause your hatchling to get hooked on it and it can cause runny poop. But have you tried it. It is really good for you to eat. So you could get a fruit peel it an give your hatchling a bite and finish the rest yourself. :) You can also find cactus fruit recipes on the net. Just a thought.

nano

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No, I haven't tried it myself :) I feed it to my beardies, and they love it, so was just wondering about the Sulcata....I may give her a bite here or there, but will still to the grasses for her!

M

Maggie Cummings

nano said:
No, I haven't tried it myself :) I feed it to my beardies, and they love it, so was just wondering about the Sulcata....I may give her a bite here or there, but will still to the grasses for her!

Feel free to give your small Sulcata the cactus. It's a great treat for them, both the pads and the tuna. I burn the stickers off with a lighter...but that's probably not really necessary...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
Maggie, I think Bob is spoiled. I have eaten the cactus when I was a kid - I took a nature class at Eaton Canyon Nature park on living off the wilderness. My mom was pissed. We had stickers all over the kitchen for weeks, I used a knife to scrape them. OOps. I remember it was good and so was chicory.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.