Problem with split and extra scutes.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
So, I was originally planning on making this thread to share Curtis’s cool lookin’ scutes. However, I noticed some odd things about them.IMG_0387.jpgIMG_0388.jpgIMG_0389.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0391.jpg
There is one scute on the right side of his shell that seems to be causing pain or discomfort when I run my nail along the slightly pyramided part at the top of the scute. Upon further examination, I realized that there seemed to be a bit of a gap.
I’d noticed before that the pyramided part was hanging over the rest of the scute a bit, but I didn’t think much of it.IMG_0396.jpgIMG_0394.jpg
I haven’t checked too many of the other scutes, but he doesn’t seem to react too much with any of the others.
Does anyone see his scutes causing problems as he grows?
Also, does pyramiding work the same with split or extra scutes as it does with normal ones, with the bone underneath lifting? Does it lift in different spots? How does that work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every tortoise's carapace is a little different. Sort of like a finger print. They all have their little idiosyncrasies and anomalies, and for a wide variety of reasons. My climate here causes all sort of problems once they move outside full time, and I try to adjust their night box parameters to compensate for it.

Sometimes split or abnormal scutes do grow a little oddly and do some strange, unexpected things. I don't know that anything can really be done about it. I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary on Curtis' carapace in comparison to what I've seen on other sulcatas with split scutes as they grow.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Every tortoise's carapace is a little different. Sort of like a finger print. They all have their little idiosyncrasies and anomalies, and for a wide variety of reasons. My climate here causes all sort of problems once they move outside full time, and I try to adjust their night box parameters to compensate for it.

Sometimes split or abnormal scutes do grow a little oddly and do some strange, unexpected things. I don't know that anything can really be done about it. I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary on Curtis' carapace in comparison to what I've seen on other sulcatas with split scutes as they grow.

Ok, thanks, Tom!