pyramiding? age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Can/does pyramiding happen to older torts? Or is it something that happens when they are hatchlings and juveniles? If it happens as an adult, how fast does it happen?

What age is a hatchling?
What age is a juvenile?
What age is an adult?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'd say hatchling is under a year, juvie is over a year, adult is after 5 yeas old.

Pyramiding I would say, takes place when they are not yet an adult, from the hatchling point on, when humidity is really a must.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pyramiding can only happen while a tort is growing (sub-adult). I think adult is when they reach sexual maturity, and varies by tort and species. Other people also use yearling between hatchling and juvenile.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If your tort is at it's max size for it's species it won't pyramid simply because it won't grow no more.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Pyramiding can only occur with a growing tortoise. The potential for it is there from day one until they reach full adult size, which is usually past the point of sexually maturity. Sexually maturity and final adult size are two different things. Almost all tortoises become sexually mature well before they have reached their final adult size. Humidity (I think more correctly "hydration"), is equally important at all stages of there growth and throughout their lives, even well after their bodies have stopped growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.