Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerbera23

5 Year Member
I have 2 Redfoots Bonnie & Clyde that are 2.5 years old. They have a good diet that consists of greens, fruit, and cat food and receive Multi vitamin, Calcium and D3. About 5 months ago Bonnie had a respiratory infection and it had to resolved with antibiotics. She is now better, however her shell is Pyramiding and has only become apparent recently. Clyde is fine and his shell is normal. What should I do? What is the cause of the pyramiding?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi, welcome. There's lots to learn here on the forum...there is a "search" tool up near the top right of the page which is useful for searching specific topics to learn about them.

Basically, the cause of pyramiding is too dry conditions. It could be a lack of drinking water, humidity in the air, or moisture in the substrate. I won't go too in depth since there's lots of threads here you can find this info.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
We've only begun to skim the surface with our understanding of pyramiding, as pdrobber mentioned, there's a lot of threads concerning pyramiding which should get you tumbling down the rabbit hole pretty quickly. There are always multiple contributing parameters, it never comes down to a single one.

Poke around and see what you find! Tom has a good thread on this for consideration as do many other sites:
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/pyramiding.html
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/pyramiding.html

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
can you post pictures of them? Maybe it's not that bad. The spray bottle should be your best friend!!

cerbera23

5 Year Member
image-3179304211.png

Bonnie is on the left with shell starting to pyramid and Clyde is on the right his shell is normal and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.