Question about enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Hello everyone! I feel amiss as I have been off the site awhile-one of our cats escaped and was gone for two days which was traumatizing enough, then a few weeks after that my ten year old Chihuahua had a stroke (she is recovering). Needless to say, its been a bit crazy. However....My RF Jerry Lee is recovered from his bout of URI so he is out of his hospital tank as of today. Here is my question: I have a very large guinea pig cage he was in originally. (My ornate boxie is in one as well) they are pretty large-with Jerry's I had closed in half of the cage over his hide area with saran wrap....am I just better off getting a large rubbermaid? I hate to "waste" the cage but want him to be in optimum health...and I know humidity plays a big part in that. (I do also have a warm mist humidifier I can run in the room as well-and we are in Texas and I have the air closed off to the reptile room so its a balmy 85-90 degrees at any given time, day or night) Any suggestions welcome-I am slated to do this upon arriving home so it can be done in time to watch the NBA Championships :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think a Rubbermaid type container holds in humidity better for both a red foot and a boxie. Here is the cheap way I do it. This Rubbermaid houses a juvenile three toed boxie:

That screen top at the end holding the heat lamp is closed up with clear packing tape with just a hole for the lamp fixture. The rest is covered with a cheap clear shower curtain from the dollar store. Maybe something like this would be easier to maintain humidty for you? Also, since it is totally enclosed I can use very low wattage heat bulbs.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I think your better off with the rubbermaid tub because you can close off the whole thing and make a closed chamber to hold in humidity. If the chamber is closed it will trap in humidity and heat. All you really need to do is mist down the cage and the tort a few times a day and it should stay pretty humid in there. Sorry to say I'm cheering for the Heat :p I have a feeling Spurs will win the championship though

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
EchoTheLeoTort said:
I think your better off with the rubbermaid tub because you can close off the whole thing and make a closed chamber to hold in humidity. If the chamber is closed it will trap in humidity and heat. All you really need to do is mist down the cage and the tort a few times a day and it should stay pretty humid in there. Sorry to say I'm cheering for the Heat :p I have a feeling Spurs will win the championship though

I was thinking I was better off with the Rubbermaid Tubs as well...I was just hoping to utilize those cages-but I think I may revamp them into temp outside enclosures. I am hoping we DO win tonite-but a lot of people think it will go to game 7.....we do love our Spurs..when they won this last game the entire city went crazy :D

lisa127 said:
I think a Rubbermaid type container holds in humidity better for both a red foot and a boxie. Here is the cheap way I do it. This Rubbermaid houses a juvenile three toed boxie:

That screen top at the end holding the heat lamp is closed up with clear packing tape with just a hole for the lamp fixture. The rest is covered with a cheap clear shower curtain from the dollar store. Maybe something like this would be easier to maintain humidty for you? Also, since it is totally enclosed I can use very low wattage heat bulbs.

Thanks Lisa-I was actually looking at that post a few minutes ago-I am all about the easiest I can get-I am not very handy with tools and my hubby is an artist-so besides being able to paint an awesome background, he is as clueless as I am-lol. I found a 54 gallon at Home Depot-I guess I will grab those on my way home...I thought about moving my Boxie into one-in the cage she climbs on top of her log and watches me-lol. Kinda creepy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.