Question about enclosure

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I'm building my Russian torts indoor home. It's going to be 7x5 (plus a loft) and made of wood. Plywood bottom with 2x12's for the sides. I'm still debating wether to use a pond liner or thick shower curtain to line it. But my question is about the distance it should be from the floor. I have laminate floors and they are cold in the winter despite warm ambient temps so I know I need to raise the box off the floor. I have some 4 inch furniture legs and I'd like to use them. Do you think that is far enough from the floor? Most of the pics I see of tortoise tables are high (like tables) but the reason I'd prefer mine to be low is that I'm actually building it in a way that it can be quickly converted into a box frame queen bed. That way I'll have a guest bedroom in the summer when Diego is in his outside enclosure and summer is when I occasionally have guests (nobody visits Portland in the winter with good reason).
So does anyone have experience with this issue of cold transfer from a floor? Opinions on the 4inch legs? Feedback on my idea of converting the enclosure?
Thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This table sounds like it’s going to be amazing! I doubt being close to the floor would matter too much :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have mine 4' off the floor just so it's easier for me to maintain without having to bend as much. The floor of the enclosure is insulated with 1" styrofoam. I also have a small fan that circulates the air and humidity. It made about a 10 degree difference in substrate temperature after doing that. Working very well for me so far.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I have mine 4' off the floor just so it's easier for me to maintain without having to bend as much. The floor of the enclosure is insulated with 1" styrofoam. I also have a small fan that circulates the air and humidity. It made about a 10 degree difference in substrate temperature after doing that. Working very well for me so far.
Styrofoam! Of course. That's a great idea and I even have one large sheet already. Thank you!
Where do you have the fan? In the enclosure? I'm not understanding why that would help heat up the substrate.
What kind of heat source is that in conjunction with? I have some big flood lights and I was going to start with that and if temps weren't good enough I'll get either a Che or radiant heat panel.

Thanks for the tips!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
15359033205321630180295.jpg
Mine was constructed more like a greenhouse. Heat is more concentrated towards the top. The fan does a fantastic job of distributing the heat.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
View attachment 250297
Mine was constructed more like a greenhouse. Heat is more concentrated towards the top. The fan does a fantastic job of distributing the heat.
Ah I see. That's really cool :)

I'm gonna go with an open top since he's an adult Russian and humidity won't be a huge issue (plus living in Oregon in hard to escape the humidity)
I think it's gonna be some trial and error to get all the temps right for different areas but I'll keep that fan idea in reserve. It's great to have more options available for the tweaking process.
I imagine it's like a whole little world inside your enclosure. Pretty cool.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Ah I see. That's really cool :)

I'm gonna go with an open top since he's an adult Russian and humidity won't be a huge issue (plus living in Oregon in hard to escape the humidity)
I think it's gonna be some trial and error to get all the temps right for different areas but I'll keep that fan idea in reserve. It's great to have more options available for the tweaking process.
I imagine it's like a whole little world inside your enclosure. Pretty cool.
It's a work in progress. Not as pretty (yet) as some I've see. Ghost is doing really well in it though.20180902_153409.jpg 20180902_153320.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh ya, I see how you have the fan rigged up near the che. Nice system. I like the hide box too. That's similar to what I want to build. Did you make it? I like the angled sides. Looks nice :)