question about radiated's

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi, I currently don't have the money for a radiated, and am not even sure how to acquire one in Southern Indiana, but will there ever be a day where they are moderately ($100-500) affordable? How are captive breeding programs coming along? Will they one day be extinct in the wild and only available in captivity?
How is their personality compared to other tortoises? To redfoots?

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
You need a permit to buy/own one, not sure how it works in your state.
Hard to say about price, unless captive breeding program becomes very succesful, the supply can't meet the demand.
People are trying very hard to save them in the wild, too many factors come into play, fingers crossed.
I haven't had any RF, but radiated's are smarter than most of turtles/tortoises that I owned, very personable, clean and hardy.

Kosace

5 Year Member
WI
Radiateds are more alert and special species. There's a mystic to them and unless the breeding projects start to accelerate their breeding progress, it's unlikely that the prices for them are going to be any lower than what they are now. Some things in life do come with a big price tag, but they are well worth the price. Radiateds come in different price tags as well depending on their coloration. I'm sure you can purchase some for 700$ range for "regular" colored ones. I've seen a breeder from Texas sell them a couple of months ago on kingsnake classifieds for around that number.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
There is one kingsnake now for $950, do a search for radiated, and you'll find it.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I didn't see a radiated for $950 on kingsnake....must have sold.

I doubt they will ever get down to $100. They are down to $500-$5000 for babies depending on pattern/genetics. For $500-600 you will get a darker specimen and/or one with irregular scutes.

You will probably need a CBW permit because I don't know anyone in Indiana breeding them... perhaps the Indianapolis Zoo, but I highly doubt you will get one from them.

They are personable like redfoots as they get older, but I would say redfoot babies are more personable than radiata babies.

There are still millions in the wild and there are many parts where Radiated tortoises have one of the highest density of any tortoise species' populations. The other Malagasy tortoises (Ploughshare, Flat-tailed, & 3 subspecies of Spiders) are more likely to become extinct before the Radiated tortoise will. It is easier to protect the Ploughshare tortoise because of its small home range....versus the Radiated because of its extensive home range in Madagascar. Buy the Madagascar edition of Behler Chelonian Center's DVD (http://chelonianconservation.org/) to see some footage and hear some good information on what is being done and trying to be done about these issues.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
The ad has been reposted today, $950 for one that has a scute problem, can't tell from photos.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have seem them as low as $800 at the reptile expos. Depending on the economy, I am seeing alot of animals for sale that would not normally be available.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
The biggest limiting factor in that species is the limitation to in-state sales, or only selling to a CBW permit holder across state lines. There's not that many CBW permit holders, so even if a bunch were being bred here or there, it'd be difficult to legally distribute them throughout the US. If they lifted the limitations (the laws that are supposed to save them, and promise success), there would likely be a lot more captive breeding going on. Granted, the law tends to keep them in more capable hands, but it also makes them less desireable to work with, which means less captive breeding. I'm waiting on my CBW permit, but even if I was able to produce a bunch, there's just not many people I can legally sell to.

Kellybkline

5 Year Member
WI
XxDarkEuphoriaxX said:
Hi, I currently don't have the money for a radiated, and am not even sure how to acquire one in Southern Indiana, but will there ever be a day where they are moderately ($100-500) affordable? How are captive breeding programs coming along? Will they one day be extinct in the wild and only available in captivity?
How is their personality compared to other tortoises? To redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.