Question about tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
Hi
For those who have not read my posts i have a 5ish year old female tort she is 7 1/2" and a new addition who is 5 1/2 inches.
I'm having trouble keeping the humidity in there enclosure because there in a plastic pool right now.
My new tort has watery eyes and was kept n a 45/50 ? gallon tank with no substrate and her/his shell is very dry and brown brittle on some parts. I've been soaking him n worm water and spraying him.

So my question is should i set up the tank with the substrate closing off some of the top with a board for them to get the humidity n and temps up?
I have read its bad to keep torts n tanks but I'm not sure?
I will have a new tort table n a week or so so it would be temporary.
What do you all think? Should I set up the tank for them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tanks aren't bad. But why not cover the pool? If you cover 3/4 of it and put your lights/heat over the 1/4 that's still open, it should help you a lot. If you use clear plastic and keep it out of the sun while covered, they will still get light in the covered area and you will be able to see them. A cheap clear shower curtain liner could be used. Lay a board or two across the pool and lay the liner. Use a piece of rope, bungie cord, etc to hold the plastic in place. The boards are also for this purpose, so it doesn't drop inside

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
wellington said:
Tanks aren't bad. But why not cover the pool? If you cover 3/4 of it and put your lights/heat over the 1/4 that's still open, it should help you a lot. If you use clear plastic and keep it out of the sun while covered, they will still get light in the covered area and you will be able to see them. A cheap clear shower curtain liner could be used. Lay a board or two across the pool and lay the liner. Use a piece of rope, bungie cord, etc to hold the plastic in place. The boards are also for this purpose, so it doesn't drop inside

This would be nice to do but I don't Have a car or cash to spend until around the time i get the table. So I'm trying to figure out something I have here. :(

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
Do you have a tank or are you getting a tank in the future? If you have a tank, set that up and cover most of it with tin/aluminum foil to keep humidity in. Tanks are only bad if you let it get too hot. If you monitor temps, it would be great to help keep in the moisture.

If you don't have the tank yet, you could probably even use the foil to cover most of the pool, too (though it'd be fragile/ugly!) !

Flash2013

5 Year Member
I have been using wet moss inside the tank (bought from pet store) and cover most of the tank with a damp towel.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
jerbs said:
Do you have a tank or are you getting a tank in the future? If you have a tank, set that up and cover most of it with tin/aluminum foil to keep humidity in. Tanks are only bad if you let it get too hot. If you monitor temps, it would be great to help keep in the moisture.

If you don't have the tank yet, you could probably even use the foil to cover most of the pool, too (though it'd be fragile/ugly!) !

Thank you!
Yes I do have the tank and I actually just got done setting it up. Trying to get the temps up now. Need to go get stuff to monitor temps next week also. Ill be carful not to over heat.
Here's what I did for now

My poor Annabella is a little cramped but ill put them n the pool area to play tomorrow want to see how this works out

null-28.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.