Questions from a new russian owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Okay, I just picked up a Russian Tortoise from a pet shop. I was going to buy the Greek but it had just a little bubbles comming from his nose so I figured he was slightly sick and didnt feel like going to the vet with my first tortoise when there was a perfectly good, lively bright eyed Russian walking around, I brought him home and he pooped like crazy (probaly from fear) and now when I pick him up he is always putting his head in his shell. Will he eventualy just let me hold him normaly when he gets use to his home and if so how long will that take. Thanks in advance, Reptiking

M

Maggie Cummings

Get him all set up with lights, hide and soaking dish and give him about a week and if you are gentle and patient he will come around. Russians are very outgoing and fun personalities...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Comming from a pet store, or a breeder for that mater, he may never have had a lot of attension. He will get used to you!

What is the phenetic spelling of his name? Interesting, what does it mean?

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Sue-ver-ov, its named after a Russian General Alexander Suvorov who live during the Napoleonic Period and never lost a battle and was a heavyweight in most European Politics at the time, thanks though guys, I just fed him and he is eating like crazy, probaly didnt get much food at the place when split up amongst all the other tortoises. He wasnt from Petco or anything either, I got him from Chicago Reptile House, a reptile pet shop so he was generaly cared for more than a Russian from other pet shops.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I've heard all Russian are little piggies! My little guy ate from my hand the day I got him, but he generally got more used to me after a few weeks. It took him awhile to settle in. I find if I make very slow movements and don't sneak up on him he'll keep his head out more as I clean up after him and such.

Have you made a vet appointment yet?

Congrats on the new tort. :)

Want to share some pictures of Surovov and his enclosure?

Reptiking94

5 Year Member
Yeah Ill try to get some pics up soon, I brought him outside today and he was walking around and I fed him a piece of Dandelion green and he seemed much more active so I will try to get him out as much as possible. I was planning on getting a vet appointment in November or so but he looks extremely healthy, clear eyes, no pyramiding, no cuts, nice pink mouth, etc.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Reptiking94, congratulations on getting Suvorov. Russians make such good pets and have such big personalities. I am sure he will settle in in so time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It might take some time for him to come out of his "shell" sorry could not resist. My three are personable and energetic, and man do they eat. lol I was thinking petco also since they seem to sell a lot of them. TBH I would try to schedule a vet visit sooner, tprts are good disease hiders. but still al lin all if he/she is eating and pooping then he/she is prob doing ok, it is when they stop eating is when you have to worry.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Congrats on your new addition. We have had Charlie for 2 years and have learned alot since. Here is a link to a great site that helped us. http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm
It took us a few weeks to get charlie used to us. We started slow with letting him crawl around on the floor next to us in a sectioned off part of our living room. I would pick him up and just let him sleep on my shoulder. Now he rules the roost. He loves to crawl over the couch and tries to leap to the flour often-- need to keep a close eye on him. I will tickle his back feet to get his head to come out when he gets startled into hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.