random observations/questions from a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
I have three leopards A,B,C. A) is very high domed,compared too B&C. why? also A's spine can be made out when looking at the carapace,it is not soft. A) was my first, he came from a show, and the more Ilearn the more I think he was poorly cared for,although active,alert a good eater.something never seemed right with his back legs,I got him in late sep 2010.he is now battling illness most likely pnemonia,vet has prescribed baytril,awaiting culture results.I don't know if this tort has been sick all along and I did not see it.I'm also wondering if the thing with his legs, and the outline of the spine could be mbd? too be continued.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The 'domeing' of A is more likely a genetic trait like someone with a big nose or something. They vary a lot in shape and size. A lot of it depends on what part of Africa they originated from, as some characteristics such as color and shell shape are predominate in certain geographic areas.

Not sure what to make of the back legs. When you soak him does he pass urates? I'm thinking bladder stone, even in a tortoise that small. Could possibly be inadaquate excersize too. What exactly are you noticing with his back legs? Not sure about the spine being visable either.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they are kept on substrate that they cant get traction on, they will not be able to develope correctly..
but could be many things and causes...

John

5 Year Member
Neal Butler said:
The 'domeing' of A is more likely a genetic trait like someone with a big nose or something. They vary a lot in shape and size. A lot of it depends on what part of Africa they originated from, as some characteristics such as color and shell shape are predominate in certain geographic areas.

Not sure what to make of the back legs. When you soak him does he pass urates? I'm thinking bladder stone, even in a tortoise that small. Could possibly be inadaquate excersize too. What exactly are you noticing with his back legs? Not sure about the spine being visable either.

he gets around fine,walks on all fours,just seems too be on his back knees more than the other two,its hard too know whats normal,was trying too compare the three,but they behave very different,and C came from richard fife,i think he may be a cross between the breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.