Really worried about my Russian Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston17

5 Year Member
I am a new tortoise owner and today I came home and I saw my tortoise, Winston had a bump/lump on his neck. I am really worried about him. I am hoping it is nothing serious. I plan on taking him to the vet in the morning. Does anyone know what it could be?!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
a bump on his neck.....hmmmm, without pics would just be taking a shot in the dark.....glad you have a vet appt...perhaps could be an abscess??
Please let us know how all works out....best of luck for his outcome :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is near where his ear would be then it is most likely an abscess, if it is on his neck then it could be a infection. Either way a vet visit is required, and draining for an abscess. Nothing serious (not life threatening) just some meds and stuff.

Winston17

5 Year Member
It was an abscess. I took Winston to the vet and the removed it. He is on antibiotics and seems to be doing much better just really tired. Does anyone know what causes an abscess and if there are ways to prevent it?! Thanks everyone!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
An injury to the area affected is usually the start of an abscess but have also heard folks indicate a bacterial issue may start them....they are more common in some turtle and tortoise than others....

I had a CDT that had a HUGE abscess....he came to live with us in that condition.....it was cleared, then baytril shots everyday for 14 days alternating front legs as the injection sites...with cleaning the wound/cleared abscess site twice daily then following with betadine.....he came through aok and much more energetic than before it was removed....

Just keep the affected area REALLY REALLY clean so no infection sets in...
:D

M

Maggie Cummings

More people need to be like Winston17. His tort got sick, or had a wound so he immediately took it to the Vet and got it fixed. No whining around for days trying to make US fix it thru advice. Good job Winston!!! Darned good job

Winston17

5 Year Member
Thank you!! I am a worried new mom
I guess!! Just want what is best for him and want him to be the happiest little Winston he can be ;)

Winston17

5 Year Member
He is much more active now. He hasn't been eating very much but he is getting his personality back, so I am hoping that is a good sign.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yay! Glad he is feeling better! :) Love to see good tortoise parents! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sometimes antibiotics can make them go off of their food, so his appetite will come back soon after he finishes. Just keep him hydrated and let him nibble what he wants.

Winston17

5 Year Member
I actually took him back to

Thanks for the info. I took him to the vet again yesterday. He has a vitamin A deficiency as well :( The vet gave more antibiotics for Winston as well as some BNP for his eye. Is there anything else you guys would recommend to help my little Winston? I am feeling so bad for him. I just want him back to his little self.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Are you allowed to soak him after his abcess? If so, try soaking him every day in warm water and mix in a jar of baby food: carrot or sweet potato. Both are rich in Vitamin A and they will absorb some while soaking through the softer parts of their skin.
You can also add some bird vitamins to the water too.
A lot of vets don't seem to know about this, but I believe it has saved a lot of torts on this forum.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very nice to see a worried tort owner do something good for the tort, like taking it to a vet! I hope things get much better from here on! Great job and keep us posted! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashley:

I'm curious why your vet thought the Horsfield's tortoise was suffering from a vitamin A deficiency. How did he determine this? And, of course, he gave the tortoise a vitamin A injection, right?

Winston17

5 Year Member
No I refused the shot because I was nervous from other forums and stuff I had read online. She thinks he has the vitamin A deficiency because of the problem he was having problem with his one eye and because his scales on his on leg has lifted. She gave him a drop of vitamin A with the antibiotics he is currently on mixed with some baby food since he hadn't been eating. He has now started eating on his own again and I am already seeing results with his eye and scales. I am using BNP one his scales and his eye.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
How smart of you to refuse the injection! You did your tort a favor. Much better to improve their diet and let them absorb it naturally.
Glad you hear your tort is starting to eat more!
If you have questions about anything from the experts here, you can also post pics of your tort as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.