Recommended Enclosure Size

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all,
What is the recommended Enclosure Size for a Hermann's tortoise? Mine is currently 1yr 8months old, he lives in an open topped enclosure, pictures below:
1586251943117921005897743337430.jpg
This is 130cm by 60cm
and my tort (called The Rock) is quite small:
15862520379505078564287773529295.jpg
I'm planning on buying a vivarium within the next year, simply because I want to move away from pyramiding and keep humidity higher than I can with this enclosure.
But I've also been thinking about an outdoor enclosure, I don't know whether I'm going to make one for him to be out there 24/7 all year round (I live in UK), with a nightbox, or just in the summer and keep him indoors at night.

But yes, what is the recommended Enclosure Size for him? he is 6.7cm long and 59.5g in mass.

Thanks for your replies in advance :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can figure out a way to cover your enclosure pictured above, you would be better able to keep the warm, moist air inside. And with a few changes to the contents of the enclosure, you would be able to keep the humidity up.

Change the substrate to something like cypress mulch or fir bark and wet it thoroughly. Add plants. Plants help keep moisture inside the habitat. Besides that, plants help the baby feel safer, so he's not so out in the open.

ayrgrn

UK
If you can figure out a way to cover your enclosure pictured above, you would be better able to keep the warm, moist air inside. And with a few changes to the contents of the enclosure, you would be able to keep the humidity up.

Change the substrate to something like cypress mulch or fir bark and wet it thoroughly. Add plants. Plants help keep moisture inside the habitat. Besides that, plants help the baby feel safer, so he's not so out in the open.

Thanks Yvonne, will definitely be looking at plants.
What plants would you recommend?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
You could try to cover the top with tin foil for now.. should help a bit with holding the humidity