Red-Bellied Cooter in Maryland

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings All

Great day here in Maryland with our first real week with temperatures in the low- to mid-80's. We went out for a drive toward the Eastern Shore of MD and on our return we came across this guy in the busy highway. I was able to safely pull over and retrieve what we believe is a "red-bellied cooter" out of harm's way and then released into a nearby freshwater pond.

At first look, I thought it was a typical painted turtle, but after closer inspection and some internet browsing, we're pretty sure it's a red-bellied cooter. You can see his red belly, dark carapace, v shape in beak, large size, etc.

Here's a quick link to some info http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/critter/red_bellied_turtle

and some pix.
image.jpg
Here you can see the good size of this native turtle - nice dark carapace, dark head.

image.jpg
Here you can see the red coloring in the carapace, stripes on throat, V in beak.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I never see turtles in MI, if I do they are dead on the side of the road :( I have saved a few crossing the road in the past. By the way beautiful turtles!!

Lexiii

CT
I spotted a snapper yesterday in the road but I was too late. I had to pull over until I stopped crying. It's always bothered me, but I've gotten much worse since getting a tort.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, it's sad to see them crushed on the road. I'm glad that I was able to get this one off the main road to " the beaches" before the weekend rush.