Red Eared sliders, goldfish diet to worms

Seejai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
Hello,

Soon I am adopting 2 five year old red ear sliders. They will come with their tank and lighting (which looks sufficiently large). I had one as a child but have a diet question.

Their owners now feed them goldfish, as they have a large fish tank and can buy them frequently. I live about an hour away in a very small town where that is not an option, and I was wondering if I could transition them to worms, and other options (maybe frozen food and then occasional veggie) that are easily accessible here without it being to drastic of a change for them.

Any thoughts? They appear to be very healthy and decent sized for their age.

Seejai

5 Year Member
North Dakota
Awesome, thank you! I wasn't sure if I was ready for the feeding pets to pets carnage anyways. I just hope an instant change isn't a problem, but I'm sure as long as it's protein packed it will be fine, after reading that.

Seejai

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I also learned that 50% of an adult diet should be vegetation, which is great news since I already have a sulcata tortoise that only eats leafy greens. Thanks again, I'm feeling much better about this. I wasn't actively looking to expand my turtle family, but it was me or they get released in arctic North Dakota

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My RES avoid veggies mostly, but love duckweed and water hyacinth! Cucumber is a great treat too.
If they are only 2, than you'll want to feed less veggies and more meat. Mine love cooked chicken. Another great addition are river shrimp and big mealworms, even crickets. Commercial pellets are yummy too, they sell special ones for juvenile turtles.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We feed pellets, but my slider loves crickets and worms. Has munched on the greens, grudgingly. Now that it's nicer outside,he'll be in the wading pool for Sun and food.

Seejai

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I have read something similar. They are loving earth worms and pellets, and begrudgingly taking bites of leafy greens. They are five by the way!

Randi

Canada
You can feed thawed out prawn as well as krill. Mealworms would be great also.