Red foot tort needs help

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Maybe wet wasn't the right word, it's a reptile mister, so it atomizes water, eventually, some of the most ends up on the ground. No different than misting a glass enclosure to make it humid.. I appreciate everyone's advise on my enclosure.. I got very worried about his from legs, with the missing spurs and brownish looks to where they used to be.. it definitely does not seem like a dryness issue and more or a possible rot situation or something else out of my scope of knowledge. Maybe the pictures did not do it justice. Will the little red spurs just fall off when dry? And create pits? Thanx again for all the help

Misters do not "atomise" water. There are basically three types of systems, sprayers, foggers, and humidifiers. Sprayers just spray a fine mist of water droplets into the air. Some of those tiny droplets stay suspended and float around in the air for a while but this is not water vapour measured by humidity. Foggers do the same thing but they spray out an even finer mist, though it is still liquid water droplets suspended in air. Humidifiers use heat to produce steam. This creates both water vapour and fog/mist suspended in the air. Now the issue is that all three of these methods mean that your tortoise is breathing in a lot of liquid water droplets and aspiration is one of the biggest causes of RI. Using a spray bottle or a water jug to add water to the substrate does not add liquid water droplets to the air, it simply allows the moisture to evaporate into water vapour. Its the kind of thing your Tort might never get sick if your lucky, but it only takes once, similar to using sand in your substrate, or using straight sided water dishes. The system your using also means that your tort is wet a lot, this is not ideal and high humidity is not the same as being wet, its not that surprising that your seeing skin conditions if your tort is wet all the time. .

Dustin43

Batavia
You could probably get one of the mini greenhouse tents and put the cage you currently have inside of it.
Yes that's what I did in the interim, and just ordered a digital humidity gauge off Amazon for $5. I haven't had an issue for over a year, but it's winter in NY and maybe a drop in humidity has affected him more this year.. his eyes even seem irritated. The rear corners of his eyes are inflamed? Like looks like little tan horns have come out the back of his eyes. I soak him every am, and he's drinks alot. I have the mister too... Plus mist the substrate every few days, seems very humid in his tank. I will get it straightened out. He's my boy, I won't let it get out of control.

Dustin43

Batavia
Misters do not "atomise" water. There are basically three types of systems, sprayers, foggers, and humidifiers. Sprayers just spray a fine mist of water droplets into the air. Some of those tiny droplets stay suspended and float around in the air for a while but this is not water vapour measured by humidity. Foggers do the same thing but they spray out an even finer mist, though it is still liquid water droplets suspended in air. Humidifiers use heat to produce steam. This creates both water vapour and fog/mist suspended in the air. Now the issue is that all three of these methods mean that your tortoise is breathing in a lot of liquid water droplets and aspiration is one of the biggest causes of RI. Using a spray bottle or a water jug to add water to the substrate does not add liquid water droplets to the air, it simply allows the moisture to evaporate into water vapour. Its the kind of thing your Tort might never get sick if your lucky, but it only takes once, similar to using sand in your substrate, or using straight sided water dishes. The system your using also means that your tort is wet a lot, this is not ideal and high humidity is not the same as being wet, its not that surprising that your seeing skin conditions if your tort is wet all the time. .
Yes I totally agree and I have been careful. It's a fogger system, and I was using that because I assumed it would increase the humidity. This is my first tort that had such high humidity requirements, I have never had an issue till a few days ago.. I'm am trying to learn and remedy the situation at the same time.. I should have never said wet in my original post, I keep it to how I would imagine a forest floor would be. I have been reading and some ppl use a live or bioactive substrate, with earthworms, is that something that you would recommend?

Dustin43

Batavia
Yes I totally agree and I have been careful. It's a fogger system, and I was using that because I assumed it would increase the humidity. This is my first tort that had such high humidity requirements, I have never had an issue till a few days ago.. I'm am trying to learn and remedy the situation at the same time.. I should have never said wet in my original post, I keep it to how I would imagine a forest floor would be. I have been reading and some ppl use a live or bioactive substrate, with earthworms, is that something that you would recommend?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210106-091645.png
    Screenshot_20210106-091645.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 3