red foot :]

Kevin Russell

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
hey everyone!

im new to tortoise world
ive always wanted one, i had quite a few turtles growing up

this is drax! my 3 year old redfoot i aquired him about 2 weeks ago..
learn quickly he is not like a normal pond turtle that im used to.

still trying to figure out how humidity world as far as keeping him health.
his shell color is what made me join

but here he is! and the encloser i made for him, if you are too a redfoot owner, please feel free to tell me what im missing for him.

2uzxx7m.jpg

33w4j9t.jpg

2923eis.jpg

2yun2o0.jpg

t634h0.jpg

10dgn4p.jpg

10dgn4p.jpg

331o9ax.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Please don't be offended. I see a few things wrong, and I have no ulterior motive other than your tortoise's health. First of all, the enclosure is a bit too small for a tortoise of that size. Next, since he comes from South America, and needs to live in a warm, humid environment, the substrate is wrong. You need something you can moisten, and it needs to be about 4 or 5" deep. Being in a too dry environment is what has contributed to his lumpy shell. He should be smooth. The next thing I noticed is the food. They eat dark, leafy greens, weeds and edible plants. You can also feed some veggies and a bit of fruit with the occasional animal protein. The manufactured "fruity pebbles" are ok to use as a topper or occasional treat, but shouldn't be the main part of his diet. There's a pretty good care sheet shown at the Tortoise Library:

http://tortoiselibrary.com/

Your new tortoise is a real beauty. I love the color on his head. Glad to have you here. You are among friends, and many of us keep the RF tortoise.

Kevin Russell

Georgia
hes just alittle bigger than my hand, and the encloser is 2ft x 4ft
im a small person so that may be why he looks so big in my lap.

and this is what the pet store told me to buy as far as the substrate and food.
im going now to the store as we speak to get some organic soil (my yard is about 90% clay) so thankyou for that!

im not really sure how he was raised, but from the sound of your tips, not very well unfortunately.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He is cute! He definetely needs a better substrate. Coco coir, coco bark, peat moss, long fibre sphagnum are good choices. Redfoot need a diet of leafy greens, varied vegetables, and fruit. A bit of protein once a week as well. Mine gets greens daily. Twice a week he gets veggies (zucchhini, sweet bell peppers, squash, pumpkin, grated carrots, etc) with his greens and twice a week he gets fruit with his greens. Papaya, mango, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, occasional pineapple. For greens mine likes turnip greens, dandelion greens, spring mix, artisan lettuce. Redfoot can eat a good amount of fruit, btw. Cover the enclosure to hold heat and humidity.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Welcome, you've gotten some good advice so far! I have 6 redfoots myself. With a little work you can set up a nice humid enclosure that will help stop the pyramiding your little guy has.

Kevin Russell

Georgia
he started to munch on the cypress, and i just happened to look over and a piece got caught in his mouth and i had to pull it out....

is that normal behavior or should i remove it now?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kevin, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Drax. :)
No, he shouldn't be eating his substrate.
Ensure he has a nice balanced diet and add a pinch of calcium to his food or get a cuttlebone.
Hopefully, he'll realize it's horrid and stop.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't say that... my wife would kill me! lol

That’s what I said 17years ago with my first pair of leopards ! Now I have 18 leopards , 3 marginals , 3 AZ desert torts , 2 pancakes , 3 Egyptians, 3 hermanni , 5 box turtles , 5 Greeks , and my Russians . And in the summer my food bill ( wholesale ) $125.00 aweek ! Good luck ![emoji217]

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That’s what I said 17years ago with my first pair of leopards ! Now I have 18 leopards , 3 marginals , 3 AZ desert torts , 2 pancakes , 3 Egyptians, 3 hermanni , 5 box turtles , 5 Greeks , and my Russians . And in the summer my food bill ( wholesale ) $125.00 aweek ! Good luck ![emoji217]

Showoff! lololol

Kevinrrussell

Michigan

Kevin, hello, I struggle with my rain forest. I adopted from a nice family who felt thery couldnt take care of Stan.Lee. he has bad pyrmiding and a crack. Vet visit in two weeks. Any ideas to improve Stan.lee's enclosure..