Red light

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdcoon69

5 Year Member
I've been reading a lot of the previous posts and I hear many use a red "heat" light at night to ensure good digestion. My house can get down to the mid 60s at night and I may need to add such a light. If so, where can I get one and what specification should I be looking for? Thanks.

Keith

M

Maggie Cummings

Just get a common clamp light fixture and put either a red bulb, or like I use, a black bulb. I have 8 different habitats in the house with a black light bulb for nighttime heat, and Queenie out in Bob's shed has one. They are cheap and easy, I get both at Kmart, the fixture and the bulbs...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Mid 60's isn't bad for a night drop really. But you could get a low wattage CHE (no light, just a ceramic heat emitter that screws in like a regular bulb).

rustynail777

5 Year Member
I would do the ceramic heat,I read a couple places that tortoises dont see the red light.....dont believe it.......I tested that theory and my torts see fine with that red light on in fact I think it could keep them awake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Keith:

It isn't so much that the red light aids in digestion, its that it provides heat without light. So for night time if your house is too cold and you need to make it a bit warmer in the tortoise habitat, you can use a red or black light bulb. They are a lot cheaper to buy than the CHE (ceramic heat emitter), at only about $3 per bulb.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
emysemys said:
Hi Keith:

It isn't so much that the red light aids in digestion, its that it provides heat without light. So for night time if your house is too cold and you need to make it a bit warmer in the tortoise habitat, you can use a red or black light bulb. They are a lot cheaper to buy than the CHE (ceramic heat emitter), at only about $3 per bulb.

Yes, they are cheaper up front, but do not last nearly as long! The CHE may be cheaper over several years. Just my experience!

kdcoon69

5 Year Member
Does the CHE require any special fixture to house it like my UVA/UVB/heat bulb does?

Keith

bettinge said:
emysemys said:
Hi Keith:

Yes, they are cheaper up front, but do not last nearly as long! The CHE may be cheaper over several years. Just my experience!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. Be sure to buy a fixture with a ceramic base, not a Bakelite base.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A CHE may be more exspensive up front but in the long run I actually think they are cheaper, Just MHO.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I also think in the long run CHEs are cheaper as they last many years. I think the mid 60s is just great for a night temperature. No need for night heat unless it is a very young hatchling, which I think should be kept above 65 (not 60 like adults), so even then you wouldn't need much at all. Do also check you measure the substrate temperature, not your thermostat as it will be different. I do not think this would aid digestion. If a tortoise is not warm enough (they need to bask to get into the 80s), they will not eat well, but I don't understand what you are saying. Do you have a source for the red light for digestion part?

M

Maggie Cummings

I think babies bottom temps should be no less than 70. I have raised numerous babies and I don't ever let them go below 70. I would keep a warming light at night...I have 8 small tortoises now and their night time temps are about 75....the only habitats I have that go below 70 are my box turtles...tortoises are kept warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.