Redfoot Eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Ok so i got my babies last Wed and they are beyond adorable. i have 2 Redfoots from Tortoisesupply.com. my only issue is that they dont seem to want to eat anything i give them.....the only thing they seem to eat is the purpleish leaf in spring mix. i have tried carrots, celery, yellow squash, zucchini, Romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, and an array of other things. but all they will eat is that stupid purple leaf.....any suggestions???

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What are your temps? Perhaps they may be too low and their appetite isn't quite there as a result. Have you tried collard greens or kale? My tortoise never refuses either.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
my temps are in the lower to mid 80's which is what tortoisesupply which is what tortoisesupply said to have it around. i have never had tortoises so im trusting them. and its not that they dont have an appetite. they eat as much as the purple thing as ill give them. they just ignore the rest. i dont have a so called basking area because TS says redfoots shouldnt have one so i took it away. my temps in the warm end are usually around 86 and in the lower end around 80. they like to bury themselves in the mulch above the heat pad. humidity is never bellow 6060 cause that is what my house is naturally.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I don't think it would hurt for you to offer your tortoise a basking spot, as long as it doesn't boost your temps too much. My red foot loves to bask, as many do. Redfoots having a basking area has been debated on here quite a few times, it may not be necessary but many torts will utilize it. You can finely chop up the stuff they like mixed with a small amount of stuff they don't, to try to sneak it in to their meals and gradually add more.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
thats what i have been trying to do but the little buts pick around it. its like they just know its urking me so they keep doing it haha.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364248614.720086.jpg

Fruits, veggies, weeds, grasses, and some form of protein. There's also commercial diets you can add as part of a variety like mazuri or zoo med forest tortoise food.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
thanks. any idea on wax worms?? i read somewhere that that was a good choice for protein but im not sure. i do know they wont even go near them

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Wax worms are really high in fat, as a treat they would probably be okay but there are better worm options out there

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
I have wax worms, superworms, horn worms, and silk worms. I would prefer to avoid cat food if possible.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. Only eating purple leaf- You've only had them for about a week. It often takes a week to a month for them to settle into good patterns. As long as they are a decent weight- that is, they feel heavy for their size, like a bag of wet sand rather than a bag of... well, something lighter- then don't worry about it too much.

2. Wax worms- They don't need a lot of meat with the stuff we usually offer them for the main diet, so small amounts of pretty much anything that is not just plain stupid is fine. Most keepers report that their torts love things other keepers say their tortoises avoid, and vice versa. So, be ready to try different things.

3. General diet- there are a lot of options. I've gathered a lot of info and ideas at the Library, linked in my signature.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I feed mine 60% weeds+veg, 40% fruit and fortnightly protein.
They should also have access to a cuttle fish bone and a calcium supplement such as Nekton MSA. Every fortnight a form of protein should be provided, I use low fat, premium dog pellets or boiled chicken.
Good veg,flowers and weeds to use: Funghi, rocket, watercress, lambs lettuce, raddichio, carrot(in small quantities), cauliflower heart(small quantities), plantain, hibiscus, clover, forget-me-not, bromeliads, dandelion, kale(in limited amounts), escarole, chicory, endive, evening primrose, prickly pear and other cactuses, courgettes, squash and zucchini(although technically a fruit), peppeers(technically a fruit), mallow, cornflowers, thistle, pansies, vetch, bittercress and dead nettle.
Fruit: Lichees, bananas(very little though), strawberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries, papaya, mango, lichee, passion fruit, sharon fruit, pear, apple, kiwi, fig, cactus fruit, melon, blackberries,apricot, peach, plum, raspberries and blueberries.
Check out the tortoisetable site for more safe weeds and flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.