Redfoot size to age correlation

Boa249

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
I have three redfooted tortoises that I purchased from pet stores. They were purchased at different times and were different sizes when I bought them. I don't know how old they are, but I would like to. Are there any charts that depict typical growth rates relative to age for redfoots? Any general rules for determining the age of a redfoot based on its SCL?

I primarily just want to determine the age of my torts, but I'm also just curious to see any growth charts. I've never seen this information clearly presented anywhere online.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a chart/scale/formula for testudo, but I don't think there is one for RF tortoises. If you post a picture we can give you a good guess.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
So many factors at play here, it's difficult to tell.

I have four all around the same age, but a couple of them grow very rapidly while the others are a bit slower. No doubt this is likely due to interaction, diet, and genetics to name a few things.

The best we can do is ballpark.

Boa249

New Hampshire
Maybe you can take a shot at it, then. The tort in the middle is Shelly. I've had her for two years, and she's currently about 7" SCL. The one on the left is Sherman, and she's about 7.75". I've had her for six months. Littlefoot is on the right, measuring in at about 4.5". He's been with me for not quite a year.

About six to eight months ago I found Mazuri tortoise diet, and they eat that about 50% of the time. Otherwise, it's primarily romaine/collard/dandelion supplemented with apple or pear. I get the sense that they started growing a lot faster once I started feeding Mazuri, but I don't have any actual data. I do know they've gotten a little fat :(.

Also, sorry for the messy floor and lack of habitat pics--I have a little woodworking project going on upgrading the habitat. That's another story entirely :p.

Theories, comments, advice, and criticism welcome!

:tort:

Attachments

• 1r.jpg
    1r.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 144
  • 2r.jpg
    2r.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 3r.jpg
    3r.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 115

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure about their ages because I'm not a RF person, however, I THINK that the one on the left would be a cherry head. They don't get as big as the other two, so it may be a bit older than you think.

Keep checking back because there are quite a few good RF keepers on the Forum, and you'll get some pretty educated guesses.

un-loco

5 Year Member
I can guess 2 to 3 for little foot.. but that is only i think the age of mine which is 3, and he is about that size maybe a little bigger. (probably bigger)

its just hard to tell the scale of them even with the calculator there.

littlefoot 2
middle 4
last one 5

those are my random guesses. lol
when i started the post I was confident... ended with a guess.