Redfoot tortoise substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
what is a good substrate redfoot tortoise. im am a beginner tortoise keeper as of this week. i have a juvenile and i just recently heard that coconut fiber isnt good for redfoot tortoises. any suggestions. i know all substrates have their do's and donts.

what would you recommend for a substrate for my redfoot that is almost harmless and dont have to have worries about it?

is the coconut fiber going to hurt my tortoise the first time around should i change it now or should i just get a different substrate when i clean his cage?

i want my tortoise to live the best way it can possible!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
On the contrary, I, and many members, have great success with coconut fiber (also known as coconut coir). I switched from cypress mulch to coco coir because it attracted less bugs.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
Redfoot tortoise humidity control!

any humidifying tips. ive tryed putting the water bowl under the heat lamp and it rarely did anything. the humidity is varying between 48 and 60 and i know it needs to be no less than 70-75.

any any suggested animal/reptile humidifiers recommended? im trying to get one this weekend.

but ive been misting my tortoise 3 times a day and giving a warm bath 2 times a day.

would anyone mind showing me a photo of there setup?

i will show you mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jdGlXLQsA

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have only used coco coir and love it! My little guy loves to burrow down in it. It's so soft, warm and fluffy. I do pack it down so it's easier to walk on.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Probably the easiest and cheapest method of building humidity is to use a thick layer of substrate (4-6"), 'filling' it to within a couple inches of the top with water, and mostly covering the habitat. You can adjust the opening to vary the humidity.

You can speed this up even more by using a waterproof heat rope at the very bottom of the tank to warm the water as well.

The Tortoise Library, below, has several articles and links that may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.