Redone enclosure advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Muffin's enclosure in our bedroom
I'll eventually be attaching more totes to expand.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370646539.299613.jpg

Her cool side
The substrate here is about half regular dirt from the field and half coco fiber.
I have planted clover in it which will hopefully be sprouting soon, plus she has some hen and chicks to eat, although she hasn't taken any interest in it.
The temperature on this side is usually around 83 degrees and under the log it's about 78.
The humidity on this side averages about 70%
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370646654.798331.jpg

Her hot side
The substrate is half coco fiber and half cyprus mulch.
Directly under her basking lamp it's generally about 100 degrees with the rest of the side averaging 88. In the back of her pot it's generally about 85.
The hay in the corner is botanical hay. Se was kept on it as substrate in the pet shop, so I left some for her because she really likes to burrow in it and sleeps in it at night, so her CHE is over it.
The humidity on this side averages about 85%
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370647380.134020.jpg

Between the two there's a little tunnel with a mix of both substrates in it. On each end it's about the temperature of the side it's attached to. She absolutely loves walking back and forth through it.

And here's a picture of her walking around in her food which is generally a mixture of mazuri, grassland tortoise food, timothy and orchard hay, dandelions, clover, plantain, and sometimes some spring mix all soaked and mixed together.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370647742.536832.jpg

And here are a few pictures of her to show her size
She's about 9 and a half months old
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370647785.081588.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370647800.994816.jpg

Any advice/ constructive criticism about what I can do better?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would just try to get the humidity to 80% in the whole enclosure and the temps no lower then 80. Some plants might be of some interest for your cute little one, will add some hiding places and also help with humidity.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
wellington said:
I would just try to get the humidity to 80% in the whole enclosure and the temps no lower then 80. Some plants might be of some interest for your cute little one, will add some hiding places and also help with humidity.

I've got a few things growing in the greenhouse, but I've got to wait to put them in otherwise she'll just eat them down to nothing. She's already done this several times.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
what is the tunnel made out of? Also, is the whole thing solid so that you cannot see in at all?

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
lisa127 said:
what is the tunnel made out of? Also, is the whole thing solid so that you cannot see in at all?

The tunnel is just a shoe box with two ends cut out.
Yes, the entire thing is solid. I would have liked to have used clear totes, but we only had the blue ones.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use a tote as well. It's solid so I cut the center of the lid out. I put a screen top from a tank across one end to rest the light on with the UVB bulb resting on the other end. I then covered everything with a cheap clear shower curtain. This way I can look right in. I've been trying to think of ways to make a tunnel to combine two as well since my boxie is getting pretty big and needs more room.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
lisa127 said:
I use a tote as well. It's solid so I cut the center of the lid out. I put a screen top from a tank across one end to rest the light on with the UVB bulb resting on the other end. I then covered everything with a cheap clear shower curtain. This way I can look right in. I've been trying to think of ways to make a tunnel to combine two as well since my boxie is getting pretty big and needs more room.

She seems to really like her tunnel. When we first put her in she went right in and and paced back and forth between the two sides for a good hour.

I'm not really worried about having a way to look in. I'm almost never home during the time she's awake and by the time I'm home her lights have been off for a couple hours and she's all dug in under her hay out of sight anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.