Temporary Tub Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So Rosie is my one and only tortoise (recent addition) and is a 22 month old redfoot. I've attached some pictures of her indoor enclosure. Right now she only gets temporary time outside since we don't have a pen built (yet) and we hope to build an indoor table as well.

I know the sides are a bit low, but she hasn't tried to climb out and all the corners are covered to prevent escape. Please don't be *too* rough on me, but I am open to constructive criticism! :)

Complete set-up. It is an underbed storage bin and I keep the lid on half of it to retain moisture. I have a ten gallon wire lid on the other side to prevent any attempts at climbing out in the corner. I have a 5.0 UVB bulb that I turn on for a little bit a day but know it's bad for her eyes so don't leave it on long.
photo4-1.jpg

The hiding/damp side, with more of the sphagnum moss and a hiding hut. I mist the lid that stays on this side to be almost drippingly wet 2x a day. She sleeps under the fake plant burrowed into the moss.
photo3.jpg

This is the basking/water dish/food side. She has a stone from outside that I washed with very hot water before bringing it in, and a ceramic glazed dish to bathe in. The heat lamp keeps the area by the stone about 92-95 degrees.
photo2.jpg

She gets fed on an overturned plate and also has a cuttlebone available. I mist her and the enclosure multiple times a day, and supplement with calcium powder lightly every other day. I have her on the 2 days greens, 1 day fruit, 2 green, 1 treat fruit, then protein diet. I haven't yet chosen her protein type but would like to keep it as natural as possible.

The humidity near the basking stone is around 50-60% and is 70-80% on the covered side. The middle of her enclosure is about 80 degrees and the far end is about 77-78 degrees. The coldest the house gets is 75-76 degrees. Since my rabbits live in the same room, I can't have the heat cranked up. Her heating stone/area gets to about 92-95. The water in the dish I test the temp of after changing and it's typically around 80 degrees at coolest.

Anyway, that's her set-up for now but we're hoping to be able to build her something a bit larger. Any suggestions are welcome!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks pretty good to me. Check out the enclosure thread. It will give you lots of ideas on building something.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I've been lurking... Just need the funds to buy building materials! Thinking of building a PVC pipe/wire outdoor pen (like a chicken tractor) to put her in outside when she's out during part of the day. I wouldn't trust it for overnight but just to get her more exercise/sun exposure.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Good set-up for a quick fix!

I would definitely try to replace that compact florescent asap with its tube florescent counterpart. I know from experience those compacts can cause some eye damege pretty quickly in young redfoots.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I haven't been turning on the compact UVB since learning this (and only 2 days prior to that was it on). I need a paycheck before I can buy a new lighting set-up (should be this week). I've been taking her outside for an hour plus daily and she's done some basking out there. After a few minutes of basking in full sun she came back closer to me in the shade (was 88 so I was hiding) and I poured some water into my water bottle cap and held it out to her. She came over, drank it, then took off at a rapid pace to go back to the shady part and managed to find a frog! They both sat there in the moss along the house staring at one another... Pretty sure the frog was wondering where she came from, and I bet she was sizing him up for a meal since she loves to taste everything (even my brightly painted toenails)!

Status
Not open for further replies.