Refrigerating Opuntia?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Speedy ate his first Cactus paddle spines and all today , it sure didn't slow him down any ! saves me dealing with them . Big thanks to Tom for helping me along in my "conscientious evasion of labor" !! :D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Well... I'm Mexican so yeah, I've eaten them... they're really good :) I do keep them in the fridge, whether they are for human consuption or the tortoises lol
I've never tried them raw, I always cook them. Just make sure to cook them on high heat, since when cooked they produce a slimey substance (which isn't toxic) but I just HATE IT. And If you cook them on high heat the slimey thing will evaporate.

You can chop them however you feel like chopping them and just cook them with some onion and a little oil. I blend a tomato with a little water and add it to the <<nopales>>. Then I just wait for everything to be cooked... add some salt, and that's it.

I don't peel the skin, but if they have spines, you do want to get rid of them!

You can also make a salad by just cooking your nopales, let them cool a little, and then add chopped tomatoes and onion, and a little cilantro.
((Like this----->>http://www.ultra.com.mx/noticias/imagenes/notas/realizan-muestra-gastronomica-del-nopal_98a8b.JPG )

Hope it helped lol
That's fantastic!!! Thank you for those recipes! I'll definitely try them