Repticon, Colorado 2012 Report and Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
Anyone else attend the show who wants to share?

We spent just over two hours there today. We attended two presentations and saw lots of reptiles and a few other animals.

The Jungle Lady gave a nice entertaining and educational presentation of a variety of animals from snakes to lizards to a nice big African spurred tortoise. She does presentations for schools, scouts and parties. (http://www.thejunglelady.com/)

We also attended a great presentation from members of the Colorado Herpetological Society on reptiles of Colorado. They gave a great lecture and slideshow and even brought some cool examples of Colorado snakes and a beautiful Ornate Box turtle. It was very interesting. I really had no idea how many reptiles live in our State. But now that we do, we ill probably go looking for them! (http://www.coloherps.org/)

As with most reptile events, the vast majority of animals were snakes. There were some gorgeous creatures. This one was my favorite of the snakes.

Pic004.jpg

This was one of the lizards that my son wanted to bring home.

Pic002.jpg

I got really excited over these tortoises. There are two redfoots at the back of the tank, but the smaller ones are allegedly a sulcata/leopard hybrid. My goodness it was the cutest thing! I wanted to take it home and love it forever. The breeder said they were not sure how big it might get though since it is a hybrid so I decided not to bring it home. That and the fact that it was way out of my price range.
Pic006.jpg

and here they are a little closer up with the redfoot to the rear and the hybrid to the front:
Pic007.jpg

Here is the hybrid by herself with my older son's hand for scale:
Pic009.jpg

Here is a really nice sulcata. I think he's the perfect size. If only they would stay this size:
Pic015.jpg

And last, but not least, an Asian Box Turtle (very cool but kinda shy). My younger son desperately wanted to bring this home. The people who had it at the show were looking for a good home for it. They only wanted $50. But alas, with two RTs already, we are not ready for more.
Pic016.jpg

If you live in Colorado, hope you get a chance to check it out. We'll be going to the Rocky Mtn Reptile Expo in May as well. It's fun for the whole family!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Thanks for posting the pictures for us. I wish there were reptile shows in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.