Reputable Snake Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
My little cousin turns 18 this month, and he wants a snake. He's physically disabled, so he can't really have a dog, jumping on him and such. He has some anoles and fish already, but he told me he wants a snake. I already ok'd it with my aunt, so I'm going to get him one. I was wondering two things. One I'm thinking a cool corn snake, maybe an albino. I've heard they're pretty easy to take care of. Is this accurate? Also, I don't know where to order one from. Any recommendations?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Corn snakes are great snakes, and, yes, fairly easy to care for. As far as care research (JUST as vital for corns as it is for our torts) and finding a good breeder is concerned, a great place to start for both would be the Corn Snake Forums at http://cornsnakes.com

Good luck to you in the search. :)

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
A corn snake or a royal python is a ideal first snake but honestly, I would want to avoid albinos because they die faster than average snakes and are incredibly expensive!!! You might as well buy an aldabra tortoise for albino corn snakes haha. But more importantly think like your cousin would and pick the snake that reminds you of him :D have fun!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
South Mountain Reptiles has some good quality corns at a good price. Quite a selection actually. Check out their site.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Puckles🐢 said:
A corn snake or a royal python is a ideal first snake but honestly, I would want to avoid albinos because they die faster than average snakes and are incredibly expensive!!! You might as well buy an aldabra tortoise for albino corn snakes haha. But more importantly think like your cousin would and pick the snake that reminds you of him :D have fun!

Albino snakes do not necessarily die faster than normal ones; perhaps in the wild (duh!), but in captivity, not so much. And in many cases, an albino cornsnake or albino kingsnake is hardly more pricey than a normal, usually $10-20 more at most.
---
To the OP, there are a lot of choices for good, reasonably affordable beginner snakes that stay relatively small.

I like the small constrictors (ball pythons, rosy boas, sand boas), because they are more laidback and not as "active" as colubrids. These may be something to consider for someone physically disabled.

However, colubrids such as cornsnakes, kingsnakes, garter snakes, ratsnakes...are also very easy captives. They just tend to be more hyper compared to a slow lump of scales like a ball python.

If you are interested, I know a handful of breeders for some of these species. PM me.

Bottom line: line up what you can initially afford, how much space you can devote, and look at some of these online. See what appeals to your cousin. Some snakes just "look" cooler, and an albino pinstriped bloodred cornsnake may appeal more to him than a black/white banded kingsnake. With some of these, the skys the limit on pattern/color mutations.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would confer with the kid as to species and color. Get his input, he may know exactly what he wants.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
I would confer with the kid as to species and color. Get his input, he may know exactly what he wants.

It's gonna be a surprise, he'll be thrilled no matter what kind I get.

StudentoftheReptile said:
Puckles[TURTLE] said:

Albino snakes do not necessarily die faster than normal ones; perhaps in the wild (duh!), but in captivity, not so much. And in many cases, an albino cornsnake or albino kingsnake is hardly more pricey than a normal, usually $10-20 more at most.
---
To the OP, there are a lot of choices for good, reasonably affordable beginner snakes that stay relatively small.

I like the small constrictors (ball pythons, rosy boas, sand boas), because they are more laidback and not as "active" as colubrids. These may be something to consider for someone physically disabled.

However, colubrids such as cornsnakes, kingsnakes, garter snakes, ratsnakes...are also very easy captives. They just tend to be more hyper compared to a slow lump of scales like a ball python.

If you are interested, I know a handful of breeders for some of these species. PM me.

Bottom line: line up what you can initially afford, how much space you can devote, and look at some of these online. See what appeals to your cousin. Some snakes just "look" cooler, and an albino pinstriped bloodred cornsnake may appeal more to him than a black/white banded kingsnake. With some of these, the skys the limit on pattern/color mutations.

He's not going to interact with it much, if at all, so that's why I was thinking cornsnakes. I've heard they're more active. I've got about 400 to spend on the snake and habitat.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, with $400 to blow, you have a lot of options.

Again, not trying to dissuade you from corns, because they are good snakes, but they're not the only colubrids around. Take a look at kings and other ratsnakes first.

7oasty23

5 Year Member

Again, not trying to dissuade you from corns, because they are good snakes, but they're not the only colubrids around. Take a look at kings and other ratsnakes first.

I'll look at some. Any specific breeds I should stay away from?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
You want to buy a corn snake, there is only one person to deal with,
Eugene Bessete at Ophiological supply on Fauna. He and his wife Cindy have been breeding corn snakes for 30 years. Flawless reputation. I've been to their facility twice. Incredible.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
7oasty23 said:

I'll look at some. Any specific breeds I should stay away from?

For your purposes, I would stay away from water snakes (Nerodia sp), garters & ribbons (Thamnophis sp), and any exotic colubrids, such as Asian ratsnakes (Elaphe, etc.). If you can find captive-bred African house snakes, they can be okay, but stay away from wild-caught specimens.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I think a cornsnake would be a great choice. If it's not gonna be handled much and is gonna be more of a display animal then there's lots of pretty morphs available for his viewing pleasure. They can be a little faster and not as calm as a boa or python but they will make it for it with looks. With 400 dollars to spend you can get a little crazy on a nice enclosure as well.

I would look at the exo-terra terrariums. Not sure what his disability is but having access through the front will make things easier on anybody and they look really nice.

This would be a good size and would probably be all you would need even for an adult.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1QYLK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Vickie

5 Year Member
HI Eric, I just saw this. You know having a son with issues I have a couple suggestions with him in mind. Though totally afraid of snakes myself. LOL Anyway, you didn't state his disability so guessing here however, most of these kids even if they don't show it have sensory issues. I would avoid anything that is a constrictor in nature. Even if its a gentile snake it might frighten him if he gets squeezed to hard (even if to us it doesn't seem like its squeezing to much). Secondly, just make positive its a passive snake and gentile snake......not one to ever bite which I know any will bite just avoid it as much as humanly possible. If it happens he might either get very mad at the snake or secondly be very scared of it after it happens and avoid it. The main thing again there its all sensory. A bite to him might seem all the more scary then one of us getting bit. Lastly I would start off smaller in size so that its easier to handle for him. My biggest thing is I would just ask him his favorite color of snake and try to go from there with keeping sensory issues in mind.

Anyway, just ideas here most people don't think about the sensory issues most "special" kids and adults have. Also, I would totally go for it. Pets of any form is great for these kids and adults. They often have more issues making friends etc and pets soon become their best friends and tend to be more spoiled then most pets in "normal" households. Besides you would become his #1 cousin. ;)

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Corn snakes are great and come in a wide variety colorful morphs. My suggestion is to get a yearling or older. They are less nippy, a little slower, less fragile...and you'll be able to find them in the tank easier! :) With $400, you'll be able to get an older snake with a nice morph and have plenty left over for supplies. Get a tank off of Craigslist and you'll have even more to work with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.