I rescued a snake

Lev

A friend of mine gave this snake beacuse he is moving,he bought some time ago, and told me some strange name I can´t even remember,

I looked it up, I think it´s a corn snake right?

Btw, that "terrarium" is just temporary, while I get a the one it was being kept ready

index_zpsnwyv5aao.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is a corn snake and a rat snake the same thing?
Here we have red, black and Everglades rat snakes. They are gold in color.
That looks like a black rat snake.

Reactions: Lev

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Looks like an anerythristic corn snake. And yes, corns are a type of rat snake.
Thanks, Lisa.
I have a large and UNFRIENDLY Everglades rat snake that lives near my fish pond.
It's strange how some don't seem to mind being handled and some will ferociously bite the crap out of you.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks, Lisa.
I have a large and UNFRIENDLY Everglades rat snake that lives near my fish pond.
It's strange how some don't seem to mind being handled and some will ferociously bite the crap out of you.
The corn snake is the most friendly of the rat snakes. That's why it's so popular. Trans Pecos rats are supposed to be gentle as well. But the everglades pictures I have seen are beautiful!

Lev

Thank you all very much guys,

I will move the snake to a bigger terrarium, but I am making a bigger one, I will show you pictures when it´s done

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How's this going? Corn snakes are usually great pets.

Lev

Hi Tammy J

It´s going great, I turn an old wardrobe into a terrarium, it has shed 4 times since I´ve had it, I have been feeding it 2 mice a week, he likes them live, is it ok to upload a video of him eating?

Kind regards,

02_zpsgqziyxan.jpg
04_zpsqozdp7uq.jpg

How's this going? Corn snakes are usually great pets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool snake!

I have a couple of suggestions that I hope will be helpful:
  1. I see some broken pieces of shed and the wet rag sitting there. You can keep a little more dampness in the substrate to help with humidity.
  2. For years I had problem sheds in my dry climate here in SoCal. I solved these problems once and for all for every species by offering a humid hide, which somewhat simulates the little nooks and crannies the would find to hide in in the wild. Get a tupperware container of some sort with a lid. Doesn't matter if its rectangle, square or round. It should be large enough for the whole snake to curl up in. Fill it up about half way with dampened substrate, and cut out a round door hole just big enough for the snake. I like to use a "hole saw" drill attachment to make the hole nice and smooth and even. Then add some damp long fibered sphagnum moss and put the lid on. I like to semi-bury mine into the substrate near the warm side of the enclosure and I also cover the top with substrate. If you pile up the substrate around it, the hide will almost disappear. Once I started putting these in each enclosure, I never had another bad shed.
  3. You shouldn't feed live animals to your snake. It is not necessary, its cruel for the prey animal, and its very dangerous for your snake. Many snakes die from infected rodent bites. Its a risk you don't need to take. Just wiggle a thawed mouse in front of the snake with some long forceps and the snake will take pre-killed prey with no problem. You might need a little hunger to get it done initially, but they will all come around in time.
Goo luck!

Lev

Thank you very much Tom, that's great advice, I will buy a tupperware and sphagnum moss.

The snake is about 1.5 meters long, what tupperware size do you recommend?

I will wiggle a thawed mice like you said, when I tried to feed it a dead mouse I just left it there.

Kind regards,

Cool snake!

I have a couple of suggestions that I hope will be helpful:
  1. I see some broken pieces of shed and the wet rag sitting there. You can keep a little more dampness in the substrate to help with humidity.
  2. For years I had problem sheds in my dry climate here in SoCal. I solved these problems once and for all for every species by offering a humid hide, which somewhat simulates the little nooks and crannies the would find to hide in in the wild. Get a tupperware container of some sort with a lid. Doesn't matter if its rectangle, square or round. It should be large enough for the whole snake to curl up in. Fill it up about half way with dampened substrate, and cut out a round door hole just big enough for the snake. I like to use a "hole saw" drill attachment to make the hole nice and smooth and even. Then add some damp long fibered sphagnum moss and put the lid on. I like to semi-bury mine into the substrate near the warm side of the enclosure and I also cover the top with substrate. If you pile up the substrate around it, the hide will almost disappear. Once I started putting these in each enclosure, I never had another bad shed.
  3. You shouldn't feed live animals to your snake. It is not necessary, its cruel for the prey animal, and its very dangerous for your snake. Many snakes die from infected rodent bites. Its a risk you don't need to take. Just wiggle a thawed mouse in front of the snake with some long forceps and the snake will take pre-killed prey with no problem. You might need a little hunger to get it done initially, but they will all come around in time.
Goo luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you very much Tom, that's great advice, I will buy a tupperware and sphagnum moss.

The snake is about 1.5 meters long, what tupperware size do you recommend?

I will wiggle a thawed mice like you said, when I tried to feed it a dead mouse I just left it there.

Kind regards,
The hide should function as a compact little hide-a-way, so it doesn't need to be big. The snake will curl up in there. Something around plastic shoe box size should do it.

If the snake doesn't take to the frozen mice right away, you can wait a week and try it again. Might have to let him get a little hungry. Another technique is to get a live mouse, euthanize it, and immediately wiggle that one around in front of the snake. When I say "wiggle", I mean to be subtle and make it move around somewhat like a live mouse would. For some snakes it really doesn't matter what you do, because they will hit anything no matter how you offer it. For others, wiggling it the right way can make the difference between getting a prey response or not.

Lev

Thank you very much !

The hide should function as a compact little hide-a-way, so it doesn't need to be big. The snake will curl up in there. Something around plastic shoe box size should do it.

If the snake doesn't take to the frozen mice right away, you can wait a week and try it again. Might have to let him get a little hungry. Another technique is to get a live mouse, euthanize it, and immediately wiggle that one around in front of the snake. When I say "wiggle", I mean to be subtle and make it move around somewhat like a live mouse would. For some snakes it really doesn't matter what you do, because they will hit anything no matter how you offer it. For others, wiggling it the right way can make the difference between getting a prey response or not.

daniellenc

Maryland
You can also get them to eat f/t mice by getting them super hot and very well thawed. Then puncture it a bit (gross I know) but the smell often stimulates a feeding response.

Lev

Thank you very much !
Kind regards

You can also get them to eat f/t mice by getting them super hot and very well thawed. Then puncture it a bit (gross I know) but the smell often stimulates a feeding response.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
BUT never microwave a mouse. It will stink up your house, and the mouse will not be any good. Use a baggy to keep the mouse dry and let it soak in a cup of warm water , almost hot water.

Lev

Thanks, I won"t microwave them then, that was my plan btw ha
Kind regards,

BUT never microwave a mouse. It will stink up your house, and the mouse will not be any good. Use a baggy to keep the mouse dry and let it soak in a cup of warm water , almost hot water.

Lev

By the way, last time I weigh him , it was 410 grams

I have been feeding him 2 mice a week, one time I gave him 3 but trew up 2,

At the pet store, they call the mice Boston, I forgot to weigh them but will do it tommorrow, I called them yasterday and was told they do sell frozen mice.

Kind regards,