RES SHEDDING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrsjenlester

We just got an RES last week, a friend found it out in a lumber yard and since we have an outdoor pond we took it, however I was looking at him yesterday and his skin seems to be shedding and he wasn't like this when we took him. Any ideas?

I am also feeding him reptomin food sticks but the goldfish keep eating them so any ideas on how to feed him would be great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Its pretty normal for a water turtle's skin to shed. Especially one that hasn't been well taken care of or has been through a hardship.

Try feeding your RES small cut up pieces of chicken or turkey. Something that sinks will also have a better chance of getting to the turtle. If you get him tame enough, feed him with tongs.

Yvonne

M

mrsjenlester

Wow thanks Yvonne I'm glad to know it is nothing serious. He does come up to the surface when I feed the fish so I guess he is getting more comfortable with me. Can I feed just plain roasted chicken without the skin that we eat for dinner?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Don't tell anyone, but I feed un-cooked pieces. This is usually frowned upon because of the salmonella thing, however I've never seen a cooked bird available for wild turtles to eat. If you don't want to go the raw route, then just cook up a piece especially for the turtle with no seasonings. And yes, no skin.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree too...I have never seen a RES chase down a chicken pull out the feathers and throw it in the micro wave...I also feed raw chicken. If you are going to feed him what you eat make sure there's no seasoning on his share...lol

M

mrsjenlester

Thanks Yvonne and Maggie. I tossed in some chicken and the dang fish went for it, oh well I guess he will get hungry enough and not let them take it:)

daytripper

5 Year Member
he\she will also shed if they've been put in warmer water than there used to...just make sure its got a spot to get out and get totally dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.