Rescued 2 RES !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_Panda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chico , California
I found these little turtles at the mall I work at, they were in a very small container with no food and very little water. It was about 50-55 degrees outside, Pixie has 3 missing toes :( both turtles shells were very soft and they were very lethargic.

I currently have them in a 10 gallon tank with a submersible water heater, a submersible filter, a floating dock, some large rocks, some silk plants, and a 100 watt, zoo med Powersun UVA-UVB, heat lamp.

We plan to get a 55 gallon tank and a magnum 350 deluxe filter but what we have them in is working well for now as they are super active and eating very well.

Here are some pics

This is what I found them in
DSC02811.jpg

Poor Pixie's toe
DSC02804.jpg

Pixie
DSC02809.jpg

Pixie underside
DSC02810.jpg

Rocket
DSC02805.jpg

Rocket underside
DSC02806.jpg

Rocket trying to escape lol
DSC02807.jpg

There current setup (will be changing for sure )
DSC02797.jpg

Rocket swimming around
DSC02799.jpg

-Andy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they have beatiful markings

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Little RES are just so cute! Good on you for taking them in. Their eyes are open, so you're ahead in the game.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Good for you for taking them in.......the story of my life. They look good for such a poor beginning. The setup you have right now looks fine while they are so little. Don't waist your money climbing the "larger tank ladder". When they get too big for that one, just go for the biggest you can afford. Or a pond, if you have a yard.....nothing like a turtle pond for sitting around with a cool drink on a hot summer day. They grow so fast. They were so lucky you found them.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
terryo said:
nothing like a turtle pond for sitting around with a cool drink on a hot summer day. They grow so fast.

Yes, soon they'll be off to college and moving out.
Absolutely second the thought on the pond. Doesn't need to be fancy to be enjoyable.

Andy_Panda

5 Year Member
Chico , California
sweet well thanks for the support everyone ... they are pretty tiny right now and seem to be doing alot better :) i just could not believe on how they were left lol .. our boys love them

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Very Cute!! Looks like they've got a great home now. I rescued one about 2 weeks ago tiny bit of water in 10 gallon tank and it was complete sludge and no lights or warmth. He/she is 6 months old and is still super tiny!! It feels great to give them a clean, comfortable, healthy home!! Best of Luck!!

Dane

5 Year Member
Minneapolis, MN
Great work rescuing them. I would ditch those big rocks at the bottom for smaller pebbles (but yet still big enough so that they can't eat them) or sand. Its very easy for a hatchling to get its foot or head stuck in between them and drown.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
They’re beautiful! You’re so lucky you can have them, they’re illegal here in Oregon.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well done on the rescue! Since they're so young they will hopefully soon forget the memories of their bad beginning...:D

Do all RES have markings like that on their plastron? It looks like a secret code or heiroglyphics. Terry K has those exotic white/light grey turtles with lots of those markings all over the shells...so maybe it helps to camouflage them from below so predators don't see them swimming above? Do the marks change or fade as they age? :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think they are meant to look like eyes maybe to discourage below predators, but I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.