Rescued Florida Soft Shell Turtle Lake Isabella California

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
@Yvonne G ... I think you are correct. I knew that the fact Wilma didn't move to avoid the dogs was a bad sign. It was also not good that she was so passive while in our care, no matter how much we were helping. I would like to Thank all of you for the understanding, this was a pretty hard loss. I knew that this was going to be a long shot and the deck was stacked against her, but would still do it all again. It brings to mind this .... It's very common for youngsters to say "I want to be a Vet", then the realization that all the animals you see are hurt. I know that they are not all going to be great stories of healing with rainbows and hearts, floating around us.
She will forever be remembered in our Hearts and Home. ....Wilma's Waters....This is the name I am thinking of to name our Turtle Rescue that is inevitable. Seeing her suffer in a place she should never be has impacted me forever. It has to be a situation that is more common than most think, at least I never did, a 15lb Soft Shell in a CA lake. I may be wrong but I can't shake the feeling that there are more Wilma's (not necessarily Soft Shells) in desperate need of care, compassion and a lot of Love.
I really want to thank you all for going on this journey with me. Tortoise Forum is a big deal in the lives we help, without it we would be only be an army of 2. I would also like to thank you for your kindness and comforting thoughts.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Yvonne G ... I think you are correct. I knew that the fact Wilma didn't move to avoid the dogs was a bad sign. It was also not good that she was so passive while in our care, no matter how much we were helping. I would like to Thank all of you for the understanding, this was a pretty hard loss. I knew that this was going to be a long shot and the deck was stacked against her, but would still do it all again. It brings to mind this .... It's very common for youngsters to say "I want to be a Vet", then the realization that all the animals you see are hurt. I know that they are not all going to be great stories of healing with rainbows and hearts, floating around us.
She will forever be remembered in our Hearts and Home. ....Wilma's Waters....This is the name I am thinking of to name our Turtle Rescue that is inevitable. Seeing her suffer in a place she should never be has impacted me forever. It has to be a situation that is more common than most think, at least I never did, a 15lb Soft Shell in a CA lake. I may be wrong but I can't shake the feeling that there are more Wilma's (not necessarily Soft Shells) in desperate need of care, compassion and a lot of Love.
I really want to thank you all for going on this journey with me. Tortoise Forum is a big deal in the lives we help, without it we would be only be an army of 2. I would also like to thank you for your kindness and comforting thoughts.
You made a very valiant effort. Very sorry to learn that it did not work out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Since she was slimey, another thing to keep in mind if there ever is a next time, you can use one tablespoon of aquarium salt per three gallons of water to kill off any bacteria that may be present. That seems like a heavy dose, so I never used that much.
I was wondering about that pink colour she had. especially on the plastron. Isn't that a sign of "sepsis"? Or is that a normal softshell turtle colour?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
"Wilma's Waters.." that's absolutely awesome.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
That's a great name, and if anyone queries it, you've got an opportunity to describe Wilma and how her suffering inspired you - it will make a lot of people think, I'm sure.
Angie

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I was wondering about that pink colour she had. especially on the plastron. Isn't that a sign of "sepsis"? Or is that a normal softshell turtle colour?
Me too .... Whenever any turtle like this is caught or rescued by us it will be an immediate trip to the vet for a work up. At least blood test to give us an inside look at what it is we're dealing with.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Me too .... Whenever any turtle like this is caught or rescued by us it will be an immediate trip to the vet for a work up. At least blood test to give us an inside look at what it is we're dealing with.
How did Wilma get in the lake in the first place - you said the water was unsuitable.so presumably she was put there by some human, rather than living there naturally ?
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How did Wilma get in the lake in the first place - you said the water was unsuitable.so presumably she was put there by some human, rather than living there naturally ?
Angie
I am just presuming that she was put there by ignorant people. Who knows how long ago? People in general who are not educated about wildlife, would just think, oh, it will be quite at home here in this nice big lake. Not so.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Angie
I'm sure someone put her there, and I'm sure there are more Soft Shells and others in lakes all over.
I am just presuming that she was put there by ignorant people. Who knows how long ago? People in general who are not educated about wildlife, would just think, oh, it will be quite at home here in this nice big lake. Not so.
Yes ... This will be our mission, educate the public on the dangers of releasing non native species into bodies of water. Wilma will be never forgotten and as @Yvonne G said she was a great teacher.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i would guess with all the wounds, which all outwardly appeared infected, septicemia would be the most likely problem .....