Resolving MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird2017

5 Year Member
Hello, as I posted before, I adopted a leo in June(I believe). It was surrendered because it had severe metabolic bone disease(the shell was as soft as a hard sponge) and had stopped eating for 2 weeks. Well Spotty has been doing much better, eating tons, and even growing quite a bit. Spotty's shell hardened quite a bit in the first couple of months I had him due to a better diet and UV lights, but it has not become completely hard and is still depressable. I'm afraid that his shell has stopped becoming harder in the last couple of months.
Any advice on getting his shell as hard as it should be? Anybody have any experience with how long it usually takes for a shell to completely re-calcify?
He is currently on a diet of kale, opuntia, turnip greens, occasional collard greens and mustard greens, soaked and chopped timothy hay, mazuri twice a week, and weeds when I can get them. He gets a calcium w/vit D supplement on his morning greens daily and a vitamin sup. once a week with his mazuri. The cool parts of his cage are about 73 and the warmest part is a bit over 100(its 4 foot by 8 foot). Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to put his MBD completely behind us.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
It all depends on the cal intake, when the shell is very spongy I do calcium injections twice weekly until the shell is harder then I just soak them in water with calcium every day....it can take a few months depending on the seriousness.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just takes time and just keep giving a good diet and calcium.

I took in a sulcata that had MBD at the begining of July and her shell was very soft and she was in bad shape. I just made sure she was eating good, offered her extra calcium with every meal and I would use TNT that Maggie was kind enough to send me and lots of sunshine and now her shell is solid and she has been growing alot.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It sounds to me like it's just going to be a matter of time. From your description all of your parameters are good, so just keep doing what you're doing and the tortoise should do fine.

Maybe up the mazuri two 3-times a week is the only thing I would change.

Status
Not open for further replies.